+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economy: Anybody feeling it?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Economy: Anybody feeling it?

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I feel secure where I am, and all points within the company suggest we'll be fine.

Financially, I've been doing things just as much as I was 6 months ago.

Is anybody actually feeling the pinch?

Buying less?

Falling behind on bill payments?

nope. not feeling any pinch. if i didn't hear about the recession on the neews, i would know jack shit about it.

i am but i had a cushion i had gotten a much better paying job right before all this shit started. but i am noticing that people are buying less extraneous, luxury items, and that groceries have tripled in cost and the quality has gone to shit.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

yeah i'm also noticing the huge amounts of for sale signs i'm seeing in front of houses.

I'm noticing all my friends feeling it. Two people I know have said they have gotten nearly half the hours. One person I know just got laid off.

Me, I don't work during the school year so I don't feel it. But, I have been spending less recently just for the fact that I want to save. Also in the event that I have a gf, money for going out would be nice.

Apart from that finding a job is more of a hassle which has left me in a bit of an economic tight-spot it's not really a problem, and as long as the AUD drops relative to the swedish currency it just means that my student loan will be easier to pay back.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah. I'm feeling it. Since this financial fiasco the price of gas came way down and I've got more cash to blow on shit.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

i am so thankful i have a job. there are so many people who don't.

peoples are so fukin broke right now.

And just now a few hours later than the previous post I've got accepted to a job, so meh, no real problems for me then.

i know quite a few people who have signed on the dole, my mortgage payments have gone down but i'm not getting any new clients anymore, nobody is spending, luckily i have a few regulars but i'm limiting my spending to 50 eur a week for food and going out for the last few months and that seems to have got me by quite nicely, so ye i am feelin the pinch, i don't eat nice/as much food anymore, no snacks anyway which has saved me money, i'm barely self sustaining. i just hope my lodger never leaves me

actually sometimes i've proudly managed to spent no more than 10eur that week and food is getting cheaper , i don't buy clothes anymore, i have enough anyway. for me i reckon i'm pinching myself to an extent, the more i save the more i can put in my saving fund to buy my business premises and property is cheaper now too.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 11-02-09 at 04:25 PM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

The only recoil i am feeling is the cut back of hours at work. They will NOT schedule me for more than 16 hours a week, I can get more if people give their shifts to me.

I have a few job opportunities lined up, but they wont be ready to hire me for a few months ~_~

I had a fairly decent amount of money I was just sitting on towards the end of last year, but I burned through it all this winter to pay bills and whatnot.

I was working on my bike today and realized that I need to drop about $500 here before spring really kicks in to get new tires and my sprockets/chain changed out. I still love my bike though!

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I'm still feeling it. I got a new job after having been laid off back in October, and although I'm relieved to have one, it's definitely more stressful than my old one and less rewarding. The company made so many cut-backs that I'm doing the job of about 4 people now. I've asked for more help and been met with resistance from my management team who actually turned it around and questioned my skills.

But not much I can do about it. I still feel lucky to have one. I keep calling it "my big fat recession job."

Alot of my friends are still out of work and rarely do any of us do anything that expensive for fun.
    Last edited by starbuck; 11-02-09 at 06:32 PM.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

That's the thing though, it's quite interesting to question what professions are suitable when many of them are dependent on general welfare and luxury spending. Sportscars manufacturers, snack shops, tourist resorts, restaurants, you name it.

Unfortunately architecture is probably partially chucked in there as well if people/companies want straightforward and cheap projects in the future with less need for designing and few major government-initiated projects.

We're nervous. We really depend on government spending around here. Most of what I do is space planning for offices, and the government jobs keep the lights on around here. If they don't spend, there's no work for me.

C'mon, stimulus package.....
    Spammer Spanker

i just bought i nice big jumper so that i can hopefully stop shivering by not putting the heating on, i'm on the couch now with it on under a heavy blanket. anyone living in a warm climate is lucky, i tell ya, flippin freezin over here atm
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast