+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My boyfriend called me his ex's name. What do I do?

My boyfriend called me his ex's name. What do I do?

Hello.
    Me and my boyfriend were in bed last night (xmas eve) and we were touching each other, then he said 'oh vicky'. My name is Jess. I didn't hear him until he corrected himself, by which point he was already apologising. He was spending xmas day with his children which meant picking them up from hers and I know he was very stressed over how she might be with him.
    I was dead upset, I'd had no sleep and the last thing I wanna hear when im touching him is talk of his ex. He did apologise like 10000 times and say he's falling for me and has no idea why he said it, just that he's really stressed about xmas and had barely had any sleep.
    I did get upset (it's never happened to me before) I did cry. But I was too tired to have an argument with him over it, I know he was really upset over it.
    He said that he was looking forward to telling his whole family about me and he really hopes that this minor slip up that meant nothing doesn't fuxk up our relationship.
    should I think anything into it? Or just accept it as a slip up and forget about it
    They were together 10 years and have 2 girls together. But they've not been together for 5 years

Honestly, I can see where you are coming from. No one wants to hear that especially when you're trying to get intimate. But then we have to realise that those are people from the past and sometimes it comes up. I was always so paranoid of calling my new bf by my exs name. I was with my ex for 5 years! But it never happened and I would assume that even if it did it wouldn't have been a big deal.
    We start to assume things like what if they're still in love or whatever but I once read that when you say something for a period of time it becomes habitual. So getting out of that and now having to say a different name is a little hard on the brain. Thus we need to remember that we will never forget people's names especially ones we have history with.
    Don't think you need to worry much, you're in his life now
    Last edited by Claud_2113; 26-12-14 at 10:02 AM. Reason: mispell

I can see if they have been separated for a short time, and habits are still fresh, but 5 years....deep down those memories are still there. I don't think he had any control over what he said.....as they say Freudian slip. It's up to you to decide to let this go and forgive him or not. I guess it depends on how much you care about him.....love is unconditional.

It's very possible he was thinking about her in another context throughout the day - ie: how she'd be with the kids and because it had been on his mind, voila. Slip ups don't always mean something more.

I think you've totally over-reacted and if you'd let something like that ruin your emotional connection to one another then he's better off without you. You said yourself he was stressed and worried about how she was going to be with him when he picked up the kids so she would be in his sub-conscious mind.

How long have the two of you been together?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion