+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Small dogs

Small dogs

Does anyone have any knowledge about small or medium-sized dogs? Which ones would make perfect pets?
    I don't want information about dogs who are way too hairy..
    My mum's too fussy about big dogs and she wants me to have a small dog who would not require much exercise. I'm pretty confused about the breeds but I so badly want a dog and I think I'm prepared to take care of a dog.
    Please suggest a good breed!

Your asian right? Because I'm not so sure about the real motives of why you want a dog... haha. I kid!

You know what they say about men who want small dogs don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi
    Your asian right? Because I'm not so sure about the real motives of why you want a dog... haha. I kid!

You know what they say about men who want small dogs don't you?

First of all, I'm not a man. I'm just a fifteen year old girl. I'd rather go for a big dog but my mum doesn't want a big one. And yes, I'm Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper_Techno
    First of all, I'm not a man. I'm just a fifteen year old girl. I'd rather go for a big dog but my mum doesn't want a big one. And yes, I'm Asian.
    My bad. I sure as hell feel stupid right now haha.

What asian type?

Also. I actually prefer smaller dogs over bigger ones.

Indian. Whaddaya think of Beagle? Would it be fine?

Hell yeah, they're cool.

Do you think I'll get one in India?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper_Techno
    Do you think I'll get one in India?
    That, I don't know.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Beagles are very yappy dogs, so if noise is a consideration, I'd rule that breed out. A lot of the little dogs are either hyperactive (like terriers) tempermental (poodles) or yappy (beagles, dauchshounds), so do your research.

I have a pug - this is my second one. They are the biggest of the toy breeds. My last one didn't bark at all, but the one I have now does when he hears the dog next door. They require very little exercise and are excellent with kids and they have short hair. They are prone to snoring, though, because of the shape of their nose.

Last edited by vashti; 01-06-06 at 04:40 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

A Beagle is a small to medium-sized dog. Here are some small dog breeds that you may like. I don't know how much attention you plan on giving your pet as far as grooming goes, so I listed 1 that does require good grooming & two others that only really require a bath.

*Welsh Corgi - Probably my favorite in comparison to the other two (& the Beagle)! They are ideal pets as they love companionship. Although they are active & alert, they don't need much exercise, maybe an hour a day.

*Maltese - Bred strictly for companionship (so they don't do well left alone for long periods). They are well adapted. Grooming is manadatory around the face. They do not shed as they have hair & not coats.

*Dachshund - These dogs are so cute! They are loyal & protective. You should know that they come in three different varieties of coat, smooth, wiredhaired, & longhaired. The smooth coat (pictured below) is shiny/glossy, & doesn't require much grooming at all.

Welsh Corgi

Maltese

Dachshund

If a raindrop was a kiss, I'd send you a shower.
    If a hug was a second, I'd send you an hour.
    If smiles were water, I'd send you the sea.
    And if love was a person, I'd send you me.

mini-dachshund all the way. I have had a few and they have the best temperment. They are very loyal and fun little dogs. If you get the smooth haired they don't shed much at all. They also require very little exercise and have been called "apartment" dogs before as they don't require a big yard to run in.

I thought I should add that Welsh Corgis are recognized as TWO different breeds, the Cardigan and the Pembroke. That can get confusing if you aren't aware. There is little difference between the two though.

In my picture above, on the left is a Cardigan & the Pembroke is on the right. My sister has a (fawn colored female) Pembroke Corgi (like on the right in the above picture) named Maggie. She is gorgeous, very intelligent, playful, & loves attention. She is just the happiest dog! I have an English Bulldog & he is a character himself, but he just can't compare to Maggie.

Any of these suggested dogs would be great! Do your research & find which will suit you best! HTHs!

If a raindrop was a kiss, I'd send you a shower.
    If a hug was a second, I'd send you an hour.
    If smiles were water, I'd send you the sea.
    And if love was a person, I'd send you me.