+ Follow This Topic

Thread: is it so offensive to use alias??

is it so offensive to use alias??

Personally I am very open-minded, but my family background is very conservative.
    So one day my uncle thinks I am too old to be single, he tried to introduce me to this man he knew for a while. I wasnt very into this type of thing, but hey, I am open-minded, so I would just give it a shot.
    Basically he is a smart nerd, already an assistant professor at age 28, more intelligent than maybe the majority of people I've seen. thats a good thing. he is 37 now. the weird thing about him is he's never had a formal girlfriend, he is still a assistant professor, not tenured after so many years. Annnnnd, still living with his mother....
    OK, so Ive decided to give it a shot, my uncle gave him my number, he called me after work. we are thousands of miles away, so not expecting to see him soon. the conversation went very well, we talked for roughly an hour.
    He asked me for some photos close to the end, I said to mail out the very night, the latest would be the second morning. I didnt ask his because as a professional detective I already googled up his pics on his school website and was not very disappointed.
    So I squeezed some time the very morning, at 11 am mailed out my pics. by all means I am not butt ugly as I'm confident at least about this....
    But.....
    what happened was, he never got back to me. and I found out the email account I used was in alias : Jane Austin. of course not my real name, but I just wanted to be playful when I registered.. I have about ten of those type of email account.
    maybe it was too late. I promised before second morning...
    or maybe its this weird thing about this professor..
    whats your opinion??? so maybe I am butt ugly afterall.
    I can say I was not interested at first because he still lives with his mother, not that I'm insecure...
    Last edited by helenbythesea; 13-12-09 at 12:17 AM. Reason: happy

kms is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Why don't you just send him a follow up email and tell him who it is, or text him or call and leave him a message telling him what email you sent it from. Communicate. Plus, as a professor especially this time of year, he's probably VERY busy, so he may not even have had time to look at it yet. And, the email might have gone to his spam folder, which is all the more reason why you should tell him what email you sent your pictures from.

So, not a big deal; and it's only been a few hours since you sent it anyway.

thank you. I know this is the busiest time for him in a year. I dont want to be annoying. It could well be the email showed the sender was Jane Austin from the graveyard, so its treated as trash without ever being looked at.
    I did send a brief note with my real first name in the end along with the pics.
    We've talked for a full hour, got that kind of familiarity.
    If he did mistake my email as trash, he'd be too proud to follow up with me why I hadnt sent them..
    So I will leave this to my uncle, at least I could be polite and also not let him think of me as someone's funky neice.
    I'll be careful with serious people next time, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kms View Post
    Why don't you just send him a follow up email and tell him who it is, or text him or call and leave him a message telling him what email you sent it from. Communicate. Plus, as a professor especially this time of year, he's probably VERY busy, so he may not even have had time to look at it yet. And, the email might have gone to his spam folder, which is all the more reason why you should tell him what email you sent your pictures from.

So, not a big deal; and it's only been a few hours since you sent it anyway.
    Last edited by helenbythesea; 13-12-09 at 12:19 AM. Reason: happy to

Quote Originally Posted by helenbythesea View Post
    I didnt ask his because as a professional detective I already googled up his pics on his school website and was not very diappointed. .

O.o professinal detective and a girl! So rare
    keep it simple

Self-esteem isn't bragging about how great you are. It's more like quietly knowing that you're worth a lot (priceless, in fact!). It's not about thinking you're perfect — because nobody is — but knowing that you're worthy of being loved and accepted.

"Me, I try to send this note
    float it like a paper boat
    But paper sinks
    and words are weak
    i try, but i cant speak"

I know, some of my guy friends think I am too smart for them to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by valhensing View Post
    O.o professinal detective and a girl! So rare

Like kms said, you should probably follow up and let him know it was an alias on the email address and that you wanted to make sure he got your pics. I probably wouldn't open an email with attachments w/out knowing who it was from, so there's a chance he didn't think you even sent them, since your name didn't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by helenbythesea View Post

I know, some of my guy friends think I am too smart for them to handle.
    interesting, where do you live? Cant recognize your flag. What detective job do you do?
    keep it simple

Self-esteem isn't bragging about how great you are. It's more like quietly knowing that you're worth a lot (priceless, in fact!). It's not about thinking you're perfect — because nobody is — but knowing that you're worthy of being loved and accepted.

"Me, I try to send this note
    float it like a paper boat
    But paper sinks
    and words are weak
    i try, but i cant speak"