+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Moving in together, how do I make it feel like home?

Moving in together, how do I make it feel like home?

I'm going to move in with my boyfriend (and his flatmate) which i'm very excited to do so but at the moment it feels like a boys flat and I can't get past the idea of just making myself at home, it still feels like im walking into someone else house. So what can I do to make the place feel like my home?

Thanks

Decorations. A vase with some nice-looking plastic flowers in it. Some art prints on the walls. Maybe a few scented candles for the bedroom.

It's too bad that he has a flatmate, because that guy may not be as accepting of you putting your mark on the place.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

If it's serious, the flatmate will be there for six months top until its either you or him. Keeping my fingers crossed that you have your place to decorate together when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    Decorations. A vase with some nice-looking plastic flowers in it. Some art prints on the walls. Maybe a few scented candles for the bedroom.

It's too bad that he has a flatmate, because that guy may not be as accepting of you putting your mark on the place.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you have your place to decorate together when that happens.
    So really its just decorative type stuff huh? I guess we do have some nice paintings we collected from overseas, I could frame and hang up, would be a nice surprise for my bf too.

Quote Originally Posted by misstgrl View Post
    So really its just decorative type stuff huh?
    No, but it's a start. What do YOU think would make you feel more at home? If bringing in some of your own things is what will do it for you, then ask your roommates if it's okay. I doubt the majority of guys would even care about that, unless it's really really girly stuff or something. You are paying an equal amount of rent, right? Then you deserve to make the place your own to a reasonable extent.