+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this not childish?

anachronistic Guest

Is this not childish?

Well this past week has been quite stressful in terms of school work because I've been trying to get into the right German test. On Friday I took a CLEP test and placed into 201, which is not offered this semester. I told one of the German professors this and he told me that I should sign up for 202. That class is the same time as my math class.

So I sent about 3 emails over the course of last night, describing the problem, how I went about the problem, and then telling the professor that I will just be seeing my academic advisor in order to straighten things out.

The way he responded was completely unexpected. He is offended because in my email, I said "damn it" in German. I don't think he realizes that I didn't direct that towards him, and it was for comedic intentions. He told me that he is done 'corresponding' with me, and then emailed the other German professor and the Department of Languages secretary about it, and forwarded the message to me.

I told my friends about this, and they all agree that he is being quite childish about this. So what I did was email the other German professor and the Department secretary explaining my side of the story. Then I sent the offended professor an apologizing email, explaining my intentions and regrets, and hoping that this will not further damage anything.

So there, my big fat mouth gets me in trouble again. I thought that I had established a friendly relationship with that professor... friendly enough to speak in a casual tone, anyway. My college instructors from the past used profanity casually, and did not concern them unless you said "**** you!" or something. I really feel bad that I offended him, but I think he overreacted and is being quite childish.

Right now I am currently enrolled in this professor's 102 class. The other German professor does not teach any language courses during the Spring semester... I was hoping to take a language course this semester, but now I am intimidated to do so. I am afraid that I will be discriminated against, and I don't know what to do.

Just need some advice on what to do, and maybe an opinion on where I stand and how I handled the situation.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    take it like a man and just say f*ck it. i'm sure that he gets cursed at a lot being a professor, however, i'm also sure that a lot of them isn't directed towards him directly.

if you take his class, he will remember you, but i doubt that he will hold it against you.

back when i was in high school i hooked up with a girl and her older brother had dated my friend. they ended on bad terms, but it was because my friend had known of his younger sister that i went about to talk to her. so on the nigh night of having a male answer their house phone, i asked, "is this the f*cker ryan" which was her older brother. boy was i wrong because it was her father haha. imagine how "I" must've felt when i first met him. luckily he never brought it up and things went about normal.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

An important rule to remember: most of the time, the context for expletives etc is not the same when translated from language to language ... so "damn it" may not have the same effect in German as it does in English I'm guessing. Still, he should know this and accept your explanation and just get over it.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    maybe he's on a power trip...

raverboy

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Your professors are not your friends. It is unacceptable to talk to them as if they were peers (cursing, slang, IM speak, etc.). Anything written should be done so in a professional manner. Your professor is responsible for setting a professional atmosphere in the classroom which is hard to do when kids are talking to them this way. If you have already apologized, I suggest you just lay low and not draw any more attention to yourself this semester. I doubt s/he will hold this against you if you dont make the same mistake twice.

BTW - I don't think he is being "childish". He is allowed to set the tone for the classroom, even if it isn't quite as casual as we might prefer.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    personally i can't think of one incident where i swore at a teacher, but i'm sure that they are out there.

raverboy

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSleepy View Post
    An important rule to remember: most of the time, the context for expletives etc is not the same when translated from language to language ... so "damn it" may not have the same effect in German as it does in English I'm guessing. Still, he should know this and accept your explanation and just get over it.
    I know german fluently enough to speak it in such a tone.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Your professors are not your friends. It is unacceptable to talk to them as if they were peers (cursing, slang, IM speak, etc.). Anything written should be done so in a professional manner. Your professor is responsible for setting a professional atmosphere in the classroom which is hard to do when kids are talking to them this way. If you have already apologized, I suggest you just lay low and not draw any more attention to yourself this semester. I doubt s/he will hold this against you if you dont make the same mistake twice.

BTW - I don't think he is being "childish". He is allowed to set the tone for the classroom, even if it isn't quite as casual as we might prefer.
    Thanks vashti. I had a few heinekens so please excuse any flaws in my post. I will consider this next time. I thought that professors could be befriended. They seem friendly enough.. especially the graduate students. I guess I should've known better, huh? My academic advisor, who is an English professor here at the college, does not think he was offenede by the post the I forwarded, but then I forwarded her the message he sent. No response yet, it's pretty late night. But thanks for your insight, vashti, never again will I allow myself to get so close to a professor.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 21-01-08 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    Man soll auf sich aufpaßen.
    You asshole!!! How dare you!? This message will be forwarded to loveadmin. Please discontinue your correspondence here.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Keep in mind, lilwing, that it is also hard to keep meaning in context when it is written. It is easy to misinterpret the writen word if you don't know someone real well. Think about some of the sarcastic posters on this forum. A newbie sometimes becomes offended when they don't realize a person's being funny.
    Last edited by vashti; 22-01-08 at 02:31 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    haha we for one should know how often people get offended at what we say.. just scroll up to donut's post.

but not vash.. i'm on her good side and she will never get mat at me.

raverboy

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bohemiandonut View Post
    You asshole!!! How dare you!? This message will be forwarded to loveadmin. Please discontinue your correspondence here.
    Lol, you silly. In case you're really curious, that means "One must watch out for him/herself."

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Keep in mind, lilwing, that it is also hard to keep meaning in context when it is written. It is easy to misinterpret the writen word if you don't know someone real well. Think about some of the sarcastic posters on this forum. A newbie sometimes becomes offended when they don't realize a person's being funny.
    I think that might be the case; that he misinterpreted that I was frustrated because of him, instead of sarcastic. I thought that maybe he was a right-winged Christian asshole, but he said "damn it" and all other kinds of profane expressions on just the first day of class! Hypocritical? Childish? *beats head against desk*

Haha hilarious! (the cursing)

anachronistic Guest
    He must've came to his senses because he reconsidered.

It's a good thing I apologized and let the other professors know.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just relax LW. I promise you, your prof isn't spending any time thinking about this.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Just relax LW. I promise you, your prof isn't spending any time thinking about this.
    He did, a little bit. I spoke with him today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast