+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Politics

Liberals--Would you date (or marry) a conservative or is that something that you would never do?

Conservatives--Would you date (or marry) a liberal or is that something you would never do?

Personally, I don't believe in a bi-partisan bedroom. It would be lowest form of defilement to share the sheets with the enemy.

I say lighten up- I LOVE Obama, shook his hand even, but you never know when or why your opinion may change....I've known plenty of hard core republicans that voted for MY Man in the last election. Don't let it keep you from love! A difference of opinion could turn into a heated argument which could result in passionate, hot lovemaking....!!!!

I don't really care about that kind of crap.

Back when my gf and I first started dating, we disagreed about quite a few things, politically, philosophically, ethically, you name it. Because we are open-minded individuals, we have been able to share our thoughts and opinions with each other, and developed a new understanding in light of indifference.

Music is a big influence for younger people when it comes to dating these days. A lot of people won't think twice about dating someone who has a disagreeable taste of music. For example, my gf listens to a lot of pop. She listens to a lot of up-beat, hip-hop, European disco kind of music. I've always been big on Radiohead, Massive attack... underground, with esoteric lyrics, trippy, industrial stuff. Back then, there was no way in hell you'd get me to listen to Shakira, or this Gergana chick, a Bulgarian dance musician. Lately, though, it's most of what I listen to. I have an appreciation for the things she likes now... grew out of my old habits and embraced the differences. I still listen to my music, and I think she likes a lot of my stuff.

Thing is, you have to let go of all that crap when it comes to love. Politics, music, ethics, morals, these are things which put up walls and separate. Love is about tearing these walls down.

It's a ton more interesting to discuss stuff (not just politics, but it's in there) with someone who has a different viewpoint, otherwise it always end quickly in a "Hey, _____ is nice" "Yes, it is" "..."

But if political views is a make or break thing its just taken way too seriously.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't even know who I am so how can I judge my partner by some crazy politic views? Unless he's not Che Guevara fan or Hitler/Stalin/Mao admirer , I don't care
    I wazzzz here

It can be stimulating to be with someone who shares different views (I would avoid extremist views though).

Think Mulder and Scully!!!
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wouldn't mind a moderate who leaned more heavily republican, but I don't know that I could do it if they were hard core. The thing is, political affiliation says a lot about your values, and I find I do not share a lot of values with far-right people, to be honest. And most of the time, it probably doesn't matter to you who your significant other votes for, but what if they were hard core Bush fans during the 2nd election?

BTW - I consider myself a moderate, leaning left. Not sure if that is relevant or not.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

i think it would be boring to agree completely with somebody about politics. i disagree with views that are liberal and conservative. and i agree with some of both of their views. i would agree with the last two posts. as long as the differences aren't extreme i don't see any problems with it.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not a Republican or Democrat, although I generally lean to the right. Sometimes very much to the right

Anyways, I'm actually very attracted to liberal girls. There is something very endearing about their naivete

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well my fiance is a little more conservative than I am, and it doesn't bother me that much. If he were extremely conservative, it would reflect in his morals and values (like Vash said) and probably would have put me off right from the beginning, politics aside.

I've always been a liberal supporter, but I'm not hardcore about it. I respect most povs.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Political views don't matter imo.

Religious views on the other hand.......

And why would you call that someone "the enemy"? Both parties want what's best for the country. Their ways of achieving this can be different, but in the end it doesn't matter because no one is happy with the chosen politician. Somehow when they take office, they immediatly become shit
    Last edited by MetalPhoenix; 02-02-10 at 11:18 PM.
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

I wouldn't really care as long as they aren't an extremist to one side or another totally unwilling to hear my points of view or agreeing there are shades of gray (not everything is black or white, thats how I roll). Any sort of extremist...religious, political, anything...no thanks.
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm a liberal and no, I could never marry a conservative. Not because I wouldn't marry him... but because he would never marry me! I'm far too outspoken on a few points for him to ever accept that I have a a different viewpoint. We'd simply crash, and burn.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalPhoenix View Post
    Political views don't matter imo.

Religious views on the other hand.......

And why would you call that someone "the enemy"? Both parties want what's best for the country. Their ways of achieving this can be different, but in the end it doesn't matter because no one is happy with the chosen politician. Somehow when they take office, they immediatly become shit
    As the mother of a male child, I can tell you how your partner might become the enemy. Let's say you are a hard-core conservative, fully supportive of the war efforts overseas, and I am a liberal, not supportive of the war efforts, and together we have an 17 1/2 year old male child. Let's say the conservative party is pushing for a draft because people aren't lining up to support the war effort in the way that was anticipated.

I would consider you the enemy if you were to favor anything that would jeopardize the safety of my child. And I would consider you the enemy if you were to vote for any politician who favored the draft, because that might affect my child.

You see?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    As the mother of a male child, I can tell you how your partner might become the enemy. Let's say you are a hard-core conservative, fully supportive of the war efforts overseas, and I am a liberal, not supportive of the war efforts, and together we have an 17 1/2 year old male child. Let's say the conservative party is pushing for a draft because people aren't lining up to support the war effort in the way that was anticipated.

I would consider you the enemy if you were to favor anything that would jeopardize the safety of my child. And I would consider you the enemy if you were to vote for any politician who favored the draft, because that might affect my child.

You see?
    Fair enough

I've not considered this because:
    A: I don't want kids
    B: In my country, joining the army is optional.

I was just thinking about a 1 to 1 relationship between liberal and conservative.
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast