+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dating advice requested

Dating advice requested

Hi all. I'll keep this as brief as possible, and ask for some advice.

I'm divorced. The divorce was final in December, although we'd been separated since the fall of 2007. Now, I've been on a few dates with some women, but I was obviously not ready to start dating again at the time.

I went back to school to teachers college. The school is two hours away, and I'm down there once a week for classes. I still live in my hometown. While at the city where I'm going to school, I met a woman, and we both said at the start that we would like to hang out because we have so much in common, but not date. At the time I said that I'm not ready to date, and she said that divorced with kids is off her radar screen. So we started hanging out when I was down at school.

So here's the thing. My classes are done in two weeks. And the thing is I like her. I really do. We are getting along so well!

And I know that since we've met, I've healed a lot from my divorce and am now ready to start dating again. I know this because when I was dating before, I was just looking for someone to ease my loneliness. Now, I want to be with someone because I believe that I have a lot to offer someone.

And I wonder if she likes me. I've been trying to read her body language, etc... and I don't know. She is kind of shy, like me, plus I'm kinda clueless on that sort of thing.

And I want to date her. I really do like her. But...

a) I'd like to tell her I like her. I know I need to be confident, but not expect anything in return from her if I tell her. Any advice?
    b) She's two hours away, not to mention I'm Canadian, and she's American. Any advice on long distance (international) relationships?
    c) I have a kid. She lives with her mom who is in the same city as me. My daughter is the most important person in my life, and I am really involved in her life. Any advice?
    d) Anything else I'm missing?

Any feedback would be really appreciated!

Oh, and just to clarify: She is not a classmate of mine. She lives and works in the city where I am going to school, and we have been hanging out pretty much every week that I've been at school this summer.
    Last edited by rds79; 19-07-09 at 07:08 AM.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Relax. Smile and mention that classes are almost over and the two of you should hang out some time. When she almost invariably agrees give her a little wink and say, "How does next Friday at 8 sound?".

Don't sweat any of that other shit. One step at a time.
    Last edited by Gribble; 19-07-09 at 06:11 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Were you spending time together outside of school already?

If not, Gribble's advice is dead on.

If yes, and it still has not progressed beyond friendship, then you can just ask her if she's willing to give some thought to dating since the two of you get on so well, but be prepared for for her to stick to her guns about you not being the type of guy she's interested in romantically.

Dating someone with children means the ex is always a presence in your lives and the children are your responsibility even though you don't really get a say in anything. It takes a big person to admit that they're not up to that.

The Canadian/American thing is immaterial, but long distance relationships don't typically pan out. One of you would have to be willing to relocate.