+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Need advice about future website projects

Need advice about future website projects

I currently have two websites. The 1st started as a hobby, the second from when I was brainstorming one night.I am thinking of putting both sites, and all my future sites ideals, into one.

I have a ton of ideals that I want to work on in the future. Most of my ideals could be a website by themselves.

My thing is, if I start to work on these ideals as websites, I will have quite a few sites to manage. Also, quite a few Guestbooks to manage, etc...

I have thought of making just one website, like a central site, and then just putting all my ideals/projects on it. So, this way, i will have one central website to manage with alot of pages covering ALOT of different things/ideals/projects. And I will have just one Domain to worry about. As it stands, if I were to start some of my idelas and make a website out of them, that would be about 7 off the bat.

So, Do you think I should just make one central website. Kinda like a Yahoo! of sorts, with different links/pages to my other ideals and projects?

I have 2 Domains right now and they are pretty good for what they are dealing with. If I do this, I will lose them ofcourse.

But I know it will be hard to keep track of mutliply websites/domain names.

Just a thought I had before I started another project.

What do you think/suggest?

Thanks for any advice/help in advance

-MB1

My suggestion is to go with some kind of central site as you said, or one host atleast. If each idea is really just fractional and not for the purpose of like ecomerce (just for personal use) or something then you might as well put things together. You say you are using domains, so I assume you have a paid host aswell. If you use subdomains or just distinc directories for each idea then you could have it all one one host, yet have it distincly seperated. Each could infact be an individual site no neccessaritly linked to the others. Just get a domain that reflects everything. In addition, visitors liklely wont care if unrelated things are connected on the same site. They will likely be using a search engine to find what they are looking for anyway, and the page with relevant content will pop up. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBeefheart
    My suggestion is to go with some kind of central site as you said, or one host atleast. If each idea is really just fractional and not for the purpose of like ecomerce (just for personal use) or something then you might as well put things together. You say you are using domains, so I assume you have a paid host aswell. If you use subdomains or just distinc directories for each idea then you could have it all one one host, yet have it distincly seperated. Each could infact be an individual site no neccessaritly linked to the others. Just get a domain that reflects everything. In addition, visitors liklely wont care if unrelated things are connected on the same site. They will likely be using a search engine to find what they are looking for anyway, and the page with relevant content will pop up. Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice.

Though I did speak to someone who makes a living from his sites and he said I should do each one seperate with a seperate domain for each. then maybe get a central site aswell for all of my work.

He makes a living from his sites. I donot, but I do make money from them.

I currently have two sites with two domains and i still try to keep them very similiar as far as design goes, sort of to give them my personal trademark.

But yeah, he suggested to have a seperate domain for each and maybe get a central site for all of my sites aswell.

I may do that. I was thinking I could just have a central site and work on some stuff at random and if it goes well, whatever i work on that expands into what could become a website, just make it one.

now i have to think of a domain name for the central site itself.......

What about MoonbaseCentral.com......?

and yes, most of the other obvious good ones are taken(Moonbaseone.com/net, MB1.com/net, etc...)

Thanks

-MB1