+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do I interpret this situation?

How do I interpret this situation?

Hi
    Okay, I need help. I'm doing volunteering work at a place and I happen to cross path with a staff there who meets almost every single checklist of 'my type' ( which I come to realise after seeing him). Anyways, at start he was really nice to be and would say hi and make small conversations. I'm typically a shy person and I get extra shy when I have a crush on the guy which doesn't happen often. There are times when he'll stand so close to me by intruding my personal space and try to make small convos. But lately he's been avoiding me or ignoring me when he sees me in a crowded place at the workplace but talk to me when we're in a less crowded place and thanked me for my help. But today it was worse he stood right next to me but there was no hi no anything. But then again I don't have any previous experience of dating or whatsoever. I feel like I'm reading too much into nothing. So I'd appreciate if anyone could help me with my confused.com state.

Thank you

Believe me, I feel your pain as it relates to being extremely shy. I feel your pain as it relates to that being about a million times worse around somebody on whom you have a crush. So, I realize, from my own life experience, that the advice I am about to share is much easier said than done....

But, maybe you should try talking to him more. It's possible that maybe he doesn't really think much of it one way or the other. Maybe he's not blatantly ignoring you, he just maybe some days isn't feeling particularly chatty. Maybe he likes you, maybe he doesn't maybe he's simply never really even thought about it.

I know it is often traditional for the guy to make the first move, but that doesn't mean that HAS to always be the case. So, try talking to him more. If it goes well, maybe you even consider asking him out. Sure, maybe you'll get rejected. That does suck when that happens.... but you'll see that life moves on. The more you practice at it the easier it gets.

Hell, who knows, maybe he is just as shy as you. Maybe he was hoping by showing some interest, you'd ask him out, or at least give more obvious signs that you are interested. Maybe, he mistook your shy nature to be a lack of interest, hence he has started to pull away. Really, the only way to know is to give it a shot. As the saying goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Take it from a guy who has suffered through a life-time of shyness.... the only way to really start getting through that shyness is by forcing yourself to do just that. It's not easy at first, but it does get easier with time.

If you're like me, you will probably ALWAYS be shy to some degree. Don't expect it will just magically go away and you'll suddenly be Ms. Social Butterfly. But, you can learn how better to deal with it and work around it. Good luck to you.