+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I just a rebound?

Am I just a rebound?

I started talking to and hanging out with this guy in January, a couple months after he and his ex gf broke up. He told me how much he likes me, enjoys my company, how he can be himself around me, etc.

A few weeks ago we got into an argument and we were both quite frustrated but we talked it out & it was fine

Later, I talked to 1 of my best friends about it just to vent. Here’s the thing, my best friend is also really, really good friends w/ the ex, and all 3 of us knew each other from high school. The ex & I are still cool, and she’s in another happy relationship now.

Anyway, when I told my best friend, she said that the guy actually reached out to the ex to catch up and told her about our argument. He said that it reminded him of her because something similar happened between the 2 of them before. He also brought up some other stuff I did or said that also reminded him of her, and that I was how he got over his feelings for her, and asked her why she hasn’t accepted his facebook friend request.

I know that they tried to remain friends after the breakup but it didn’t work out & was kinda messy. They still talk when they run into each other here and there, and sometimes their interactions are good and fun but other times it was just awkward. And I don’t think it was the kind of friendship that you’d seek out when you’re going through problems especially since they hadn’t seen or talked to each other in a while. He has quite a few close friends that he could have definitely gone to if he needed someone to talk to

Why would he go to her to talk about me? And COMPARE the 2 of us?!?!! Did he just need someone to listen or is it something else?

Probably to try to rub you in her face, he may have brought up their old relationship arguments as a similarity to remind her that they were in a relationship, hoping that she starts to look back on it.

Huge turnoff in reality, both to you and the ex (who it sounds like is over him already anyways), ex's don't want to hear about their exs new relationship, it sounds like he's trying to brag or incite jealousy, turn off. Also, if he wanted her, why would he remind her about NEGATIVE events from their relationship, that's not smart.

He might like you, but he probably has really strong feelings for her still. It could have been a temporary lapse of judgment, assuming it was immediately after the argument, maybe he started doubting things were going to work out between you two so he started testing other waters (women do this a lot).

"asked her why she hasn’t accepted his facebook friend request" I'm sorry but I chuckled at the thought of someone asking somebody that.
    Like what's he expecting her to say to that? Awkward. I think He's still hung up on her. If he wasn't, he wouldn't care.

You're right. You talk about things like this with your very best bud, or else as a man you just internalize it.
    Last edited by GLYC; 03-07-17 at 08:06 AM.