+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriend is on vacation with her ex

Girlfriend is on vacation with her ex

We've been together for about 5 months (I'm 26, she's 20), right after she broke up with her ex. She had planned to spend a week in his cabin this summer, along with two more friends. We talked a lot about it and our relationship is going very well in terms of communication. We have really good sex, see each other every few days and we have a lot of fun together despite the age disparity. She assured me that the past relationship hadn't been going well for a long time and she wasn't attracted to him anymore, but she had planned that week a long time ago and wanted to spend some time with her friends and far away from civilisation and stress. Fair enough. She'll supposedly be sleeping in a room of her own.

Right now my subjective male-judgment tells me that she is happy with me and isn't missing anything, and I trust her. At the same time, it's a somewhat big red flag and it makes me panic. No matter what she says, she used to be attracted to that guy, it was her first boyfriend and they spend 3 years together. I avoid expressing my jealousy (I did tell her I feel a bit uncomfortable), but sometimes it does eat me up on the inside.

Being jealous makes me feel like a controlling idiot, trusting her makes me feel like a fool who's being played.

How should I best deal with the situation?

Ex you say. First love you say. For sure dont sounds safe. I think you should trust girls but then again seems really stupid in this situation.

I think you should tell her the truth - that its eating you inside. She should also count with your feelings. Maybe offer her alternative to that trip, together with you.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Letting her know what's going on is a good idea. If she still goes and messes up then that's you getting out of a destructive relationship. If she goes and everything goes well, then you learn more about her character.
    Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist: Online and In Office Psychotherapy Sessions.

First, it sounds like you were her rebound relationship. Next, if I broke up with someone, I don't think I would want to spend vacation time with them. It seems like you are only pretending to be ok with this situation. Nobody likes to come off as being jealous, but I think you need to have a more serious conversation with her about this.