+ Follow This Topic

Thread: FWB advice

FWB advice

Hi everyone, first of all hi I'm rachel, 27 from the UK :-)
    Here's the situation, I'm currently in what I think is a FWB situation and have been since April.
    I came out of a 7 year relationship last September in what was a messy break up. Since then I have dated a few guys but failed to get on with anyone.
    In April this year I met my FWB, he is a long time friend of my best friend. Anyway, we met on a group night out and I spent the night with him and we had sex. He lives with his parents.
    So we've been sleeping together since April, with a brief spell of not in between.
    Last month, I started dating again but didn't sleep with them and ended it as I didn't feel that we clicked.
    FWB is not my usual type of guy, but he is funny and we can have a great conversation together.
    Recently, we started doing stuff together, like walking our dogs together, going to pub quizzes, cinema etc sometimes just the two of us and sometimes in a group. He's been really supportive when me and my friend fell out, I've sat and drank wine with his parents and me and went on a camping trip with my friend and her boyfriend.
    We still have sex, but last night really turned things on their head. We spent the night together at my place, drank some beers and watched movies together. However we didn't have sex, we cuddled and spooned.
    Sometimes at parties when we've both had a drink we do get a bit PDA, our group of friends all know that we sleep together. He told me recently when he was drunk that I'm one of the best friends he has and he loves me as a friend.
    All the above sounds well and good, however we have (awkwardly) spoken about our separate dating life, and he took a particular interest when I told him I wasn't seeing the guy anymore I had started dating. We both laughed about our Tinder fails.
    We both admitted to each other that we'd given up on Tinder, but he has made it clear that he is not looking for a committed relationship but said he isn't seeing or sleeping with anyone else.
    Bottom line is ultimately I am developing feelings for my FWB (surprise surprise), but I'm afraid that discussing that with him will break down the relationship we have now, and I'm happy how things are besides the confusion over feelings. We talk every day, see each other (sometimes in non sexual ways) once or twice a week. When he stayed over last night he'd forgotten his toothbrush so asked if he could borrow mine.
    Really, I felt that I needed to post this to straighten out my feelings of confusion, but a third perspective on it would be great.

Thanks guys :-)

I see that you are afraid to scare him away with your feelings or make it clear that you started to have feelings in order not to look like he can have you easy and with that making his interest disapear. Some mystery is good but in order to get into next stage something have to be clear too. Perhaps theres benefit of doubt now, like he dont really knows if you like him that much and that makes him interested or dont lose interest or mystery about you.

Sure never expose all your cards but in order to reach next step in relationship one have to treat partner better than partner treats you.

Perhaps better/safer strategy will be suggest that you two are exclusive(agree that you both will only see each other), rather than telling him you like him/have feelings. After you both become exclusive next step would be become official, like maybe even update FB relationship status and put pictures in.

So basically he was drunk and told you you are his best friend. So sex is there, friendship is there so basically he likes you more than a friend. Perhaps guy have some kind of block in his mind if hes not looking for commitment.

I dont understand this shit when people are basicaly couple but cant put a label on relationship or commit.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

You have various options:
    Wait for progress
    Talk about the situation explicitly with the chance for a relationship and with a chance that all will end or some grey in between.

There will come a time when waiting is also not an option anymore or will at least make the pain worse

Chose wisely.

I personally would always tend to discuss this in a light tone. How I would like things to be.
    How we see each of our futures (independent from each other)

- - - Updated - - -

Ps

I would not discuss labels such as relationship or marriage girlfriend boyfriend or whatever
    Those are very subjective
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.