+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Feel lost and confused and stuck..

Feel lost and confused and stuck..

I have been with my partner for just over 2 years, he's a great guy, works hard, we laugh alot etc. I just don't see myself marrying him, it's not even something I'm excited about if I think about it and I definitely want to get married some day, I am 27 so I don't want to be worrying about whether I'm wasting time or not.
    I just feel like some important things are missing - like the appreciation for the little things that make me, 'me', he doesn't have much interest in those things. He doesn't really care when I talk about my past. I don't think he's too keen on doing any big travel like I want to do. He's pretty angry when he's in a bad mood and I've recently said it's me or alcohol, because he is an awful drunk person (angry, violent (not with me), an idiot with motor vehicles etc. We get on really well, but I want more of the intensity, romance and passion which just isn't there. I feel like I'm missing these things which are so important to me and then I feel like I would be heart broken without him, so I feel stuck. I have talked about this with him, but nothing really changes, I know he tries, but it's just not him.
    Any advice would be really appreciated from anyone whose been in a similar situation.

It sounds like you guys don't have much common interest. I think it's really important to have these activities to do together. It keeps the relationship from getting stale and it helps people grow closer together. Guys with a bad temper and can't restrain themselves is something to be worry about as well. Did you ever had that intense romance and passion with him? It's common to not have it frequently after you've been together for awhile.

It'd hard because part of your identity is now linked to this man. You have a lot of past memories connected with him and although you don't see yourself being with him forever, its hard to give that up. Plus, you're scared because now you have to venture into the unknown per say. Where right now, you have something. And then you have to give that up, and what you have is security.

Just make sure to think long and hard about it.
    The alcohol thing is a problem, especially the drunk violence and driving drunk, that could cause some legal trouble down the road. Plus, what happens if he flips shit on some of your new friends or something one day? I would be embarassed. It could ruin other relationships you have.
    Also, I can understand how that would bother you if it seems like a man isn't overly interested in all of the small little quirks of things that make you, you. I think it's fun learning about that stuff about women I'm dating!

More of the romance and the passion? Maybe he just stopped courting you properly. The courtship should never end. Men need to still treat their women and keep planning fun dates and other activities as the relationship progresses.

The best you can do is communicate. If he isn't willing to compromise or try, well, you did your part. Good communication is key.

Sometimes relationships run their course. If you want to get married, and this isn't the guy you want to marry, there's nothing left for you. Communicate with him about it enough, and you said you did, and if there is no change, go on out and look. If you stay in this relationship, there is a good chance that you'll grow resentful of the relationship and your life. Resentment something you want to invest in?
    Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist: Online and In Office Psychotherapy Sessions.