+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I date a close friend?

Should I date a close friend?

Hi,

I've been really, really, really close friends with this girl for ages, and until recently I didn't think of her in any other way than as a really close friend. But..... we went to dinner last week, just the two of us, and things started to escalate..... whilst walking her to her car, she kissed me. Not as in an affectionate goodnight kiss, I'm not misreading this, a much more passionate full on one. I told her that I needed some time to think, but would see her soon.

The thing is, I don't know how I feel.

Obviously I love her very much, she means a lot to me. And, when she kissed me, I didn't not enjoy it.

But then, I've never considered her anything more than a friend till now. My track record isn't great either, I have a tendency to screw up relationships (mainly because my job gets in the way). So, if I were to go out with her, and we split up, I couldn't face losing her as a friend.

What do ya think? I'd be very grateful for any suggestions

Are you attracted to her? I know you said you love her, but is it in a friend zone kind of way? I also have a friend that I have known for over 30 years that I love dearly and she is like a sister to me, but we never went to the gf/bf zone.

- - - Updated - - -

You also have to prepare yourself that this girl have liked for a long time but has hidden her feelings. What if she confesses? You need to start thinking about it.

I find her attractive, yeah. I mean, she's not the type I usually go out with, but she's good-looking. Again, I've never really thought about it. I suppose it's in a friend zone way, I don't know really. I love pretty much everything about her, I love spending time with her, she's great. I've known her for about 12-13 years.

That's true, I didn't think of that. If she confesses, I'll say why I'm worried about the idea of being with her, and just talk things through with her. You're right I need to think about it

Sounds very similar to the relationship I have with my friend. She is attractive, fun and I loved everything about her. We have always talked about what it would be like if we were married. I treasure her friendship so much that I didn't want to lose it because of our gf/bf relationship failed. If everything worked out fine and we get married, that would be great.

You just need to weigh the possibilities of losing if your dating fails. If she confesses and you don't reciprocate the feelings, will your friendship end?

From what you posted, I say it's certain she has fallen for you a long time ago. If it were me, I would go for it and date her.

It does sound very similar.

I saw her today, we had a really great time and..... we decided to give it a go. Wish me luck!

Goody Luck Buddy. Did she confess that she has been in love with you all along? Keep us posted.

It's always a plus to be friends with the person you are involved with, but what struck me as odd is when you said she kissed you and you DIDN'T enjoy it. Perhaps it's like you said...you just never thought of her in a romantic/sexual way. Good luck and, yes, keep us updated!

I like when people realize the one who has been there all the time is the one for them. Hope it all works out and good luck to you both.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”