+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a computer!!!!!!

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Buying a computer!!!!!!

Ok so I'm looking to buy a new computer, and I'm computer literate but I don't understand what's good and bad when it comes down to Hard drive space and ram and all that stuff. I want something that's fast and that has a decent amount of memory but I knwo I can buy upgrades too.

So do you guys like what is good and bad when it comes to GB and all that mumbo jumbo??????

also is there any real differences in laptop and desktop computers??????
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

ummm. well i have a gaming computer.... it has
    2 gigs of RAM
    250 HD
    (i think) a 3.4 processor
    and the one of the most expensive video cards on the market.
    also a MOBO with two lan ports, is kinda useful.

if your not getting a gaming computer, then just get a standard computer from someplace like Dell, and get upgraded Hard Drive and RAM

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well that's my point I'm looking on dell and gateway I see all these computers but I can't tell whihc one is better by looking at the hard drive Gb and the ram. I mean for just using it to get on the internet (all the time) and burning cd's and stuff I don't imagine it would be all that expensive but I don't want to have a bare minimum one either ya know? Do you know what a good range is in regards to hard drive space, ram, and the processor itself??

Rosebud, I wouldn't go for a laptop unless you're going to be using it at places other then your home. Laptops are a lot more expensive (really good ones anyways) I go to University and use the PC's there and can even access my home PC using Gotomypc software...Anyhow...Look for Intel Pentium Processors, AMD's are pretty good too. Stay away from anything that says Celeron, they are cheaper but also run half the speed of Pentiums..

In terms of memory, you want at least 512mb, recommended is 1GB and see how much it is expandable, usually anywhere 4-6GB. Processor speed, mine is at 2.66Ghz, tops are around 3.4Ghz so anything close to 3.0Ghz is more than enough.

Here is a breakdown:

Intel Pentium Processor 2.5 to 3.4 Ghz (anywhere in that range)
    512MB of RAM (memory) (recommend 1GB)
    ATI or similar 128 MB DDR or better (Video Card)
    80GB or better Hard Drive (Reccommend 120 GB)
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    OHHHHH thank you Asip that's exactly what I was looking for!! You helped me out a lot!!! Thank you!!

Tone Guest
    My computer has a silver "On" button.

You're welcome.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL Tone your so cute!!!!!

I got DELL

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud
    well that's my point I'm looking on dell and gateway I see all these computers but I can't tell whihc one is better by looking at the hard drive Gb and the ram. I mean for just using it to get on the internet (all the time) and burning cd's and stuff I don't imagine it would be all that expensive but I don't want to have a bare minimum one either ya know? Do you know what a good range is in regards to hard drive space, ram, and the processor itself??
    i got a dell , i can guarantee you can mess this machine up so badly , it will just reset everything and youll be back to brand new , i got 2 awful viruses in the 1st week , i had to erase everything , i though we would have to sent it back , the pc has an automated reset that sets it back to how you originally bought it , no matter in how deep shit your in , or almost .

its fast and it was the basic model from about 6 months ago , altho not enough memory ...

its not a gaming computer , its very fast for internet surfing and burning cd's ... it cost about 900 $ canadian total , 6 months ago . for that price you can get something way better now ... altho i warn you , the dvd writer is pure garbage , it works 1 out of 10 times , thus ruining 9 of your dvd's . and when something is broken or if you want to change/ upgrade something , u have to sent it back to dell and it takes about a month for it to go there , repair and come back ...

also , if you buy memory or wtv , you cant put it yourself or it voids the guarantee , so your forced to buy stuff from them when you want to upgrade ...

dell is cheap and very dependable , good quality (compared to what i had before , compaq , IBM ...) but if you want to play games or upgrade often , then dont buy it ... its good for both rookies and more advanced users also ... as rookies can screw up and it will be easely reparable , even by the rookie itself ...

get MINIMUM 60 GB Hard drive
    at least 512 of ram
    from 2.4 ghz up to how much you want .
    get a good firewall or router (router acts as a firewall most times)
    since you dont want it for games , then dont waste your money on the best graphic card , just something decent to watch dvd's or wtv.
    Last edited by Late_vamp; 27-10-05 at 04:10 AM.

OHHHHH thank you Asip that's exactly what I was looking for!! You helped me out a lot!!! Thank you!!
    n/p Rosebud...Those sales people will try to dump anything on you so just look for a few things above and you'll be ok.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

thats true about celeron , dont buy one , its better pentium 4 or something like that .

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I was wondering if a celeron was something on the cheaper side!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Asip4u
    n/p Rosebud...Those sales people will try to dump anything on you so just look for a few things above and you'll be ok.

I'm actually probably just going to order one online or something from like dell. My bf left it up to me since I'm more literate of computers than he is... lol I hate dealing with sales people so this way I can get what I want you know..

oh out of couriosty, windows xp.. does that have microsft word? I'm confused ont hat becasue on my old e-machine it had windows xp but when I tried to send my resume or any other document to anyone the font and spacing was all screwed up and sometimes poeple couldn't even open it up ebcasue ti wasn't in a word doc. So I'm just trying to mae sure I won't have this problem again.... of course it could have been my own stupidity too!!! LOL

I was wondering if a celeron was something on the cheaper side!
    Yeah they are a lot cheaper. Celeron 1.6ghz and Pentium 1.6ghz are quite different and you'll notice that Pentium is running twice as fast as the Celeron...This make big difference with everything including the way your applications open, games and so on.

I'm actually probably just going to order one online or something from like dell. My bf left it up to me since I'm more literate of computers than he is... lol I hate dealing with sales people so this way I can get what I want you know..

oh out of couriosty, windows xp.. does that have microsft word? I'm confused ont hat becasue on my old e-machine it had windows xp but when I tried to send my resume or any other document to anyone the font and spacing was all screwed up and sometimes poeple couldn't even open it up ebcasue ti wasn't in a word doc. So I'm just trying to mae sure I won't have this problem again.... of course it could have been my own stupidity too!!! LOL
    I still have the old operating system (Windows 98) running on mine. Never even thought about changing although i'll have to very soon. Microsoft Word doesnt' necessarily come with Windows XP however some retailers do include software such as Word with it so you'll have to check when buying your system.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah i have windows 98 right now but I found that I don't have the usb 2.0 ports and when I tried to install the driver apparently they don't make those anymore for windows 98, so I was screwed. But You know how all that stuff works they just want you to keep buying the new programs... grrrr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast