+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gut feelings

gut feelings

Do you think you should always trust your gut feelings? like if your gut is telling you the person that your dating is a loser or a *******, should you follow your gut?

Quote Originally Posted by chelsee
    Do you think you should always trust your gut feelings? like if your gut is telling you the person that your dating is a loser or a *******, should you follow your gut?
    Always follow your instincts!!

You should. If they make you feel uneasy or uncomfortable, then why be with them in the first place?

I'm a big believer in the "go with your gut" concept. Your gut instinct is your inner concious that picks up on things you may not realize outright. It's that little voice inside your head that you hear telling you one thing even when you are doing another.

Your heart makes emotional decisions. Your mind analyzes things and makes logical decisions (based on the data it has collected). Your "gut" is the one you should follow, though. It is that voice you refer back to you when you say "I knew something wasnt right about this situation!" in hindsight (after you "followed your heart" or over-analyzed something).

Anytime you are in turmoil, or having a hard time making a decision, it is because more than one of these are conflicting with the other. If you can really 'listen to yourself' and learn the difference between the three... you will never be faced with a "difficult decision" again. You will always know your answer - which is what your "gut instinct" is telling you to do.

Emotions are kind of fleeting little things. They arent to be trusted with major decisions. I mean, just think about it - we've probably all loved someone 100% whole-heartedly... only to find out later they were cheating, or lying, or not who we thought they were (because we were fooled by our heart - which blinds us to everything else).

Logic cant really be trusted either. You will argue yourself out of wearing a coat on a winter day. Think of a courtroom trial. It's not necessarily about the truth or the facts... it's about who presents the best case. And when you REALLY want something (because your heart is rooting for it)... you'll twist logic to work in your favor.

Gut instinct cannot be manipulated. It's there. And you know it's there. And you stuff it away, ignore it... use the heart and the mind to argue it into submission.. then do what you want. Then later you say "I had a feeling..."

right.. why would you date someone you feel is a loser?
    "Ogres are like onions."

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    uh well you have to have a reason to think he's a loser or whatever... but I always try to follow my instincts.
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

Absolutely, I think that you should always follow your gut.

It depends on the situation. Sometimes you may think its a gut feeling when in reality its your own head or insecurities. You have to know yourself well enough to realise the difference.
    *MaJiK*

There are not many things I fear in life, but disappointing you is my greatest.

I love you even with your flaws... I love you because of your flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by mini696
    You have to know yourself well enough to realise the difference.
    I agree!

Anyone who really wants to delve into this topic - and is willing to spend 7 bucks to really study the differences between all of those little voices creating turmoil for you in tough times - PM me and I will give you the link to the great little book that I read. I know the author personally, she has some good stuff to say on this topic.

...But, I always thought that gut followed you, has it been promoted? I don't know, how good are your gut's initiative and management skills? Does it lead by example? If it does, then you definetely should follow!

Are there any reasons to go with your gut's skeptisisms?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by independent
    I'm a big believer in the "go with your gut" concept. Your gut instinct is your inner concious that picks up on things you may not realize outright. It's that little voice inside your head that you hear telling you one thing even when you are doing another.

Your heart makes emotional decisions. Your mind analyzes things and makes logical decisions (based on the data it has collected). Your "gut" is the one you should follow, though. It is that voice you refer back to you when you say "I knew something wasnt right about this situation!" in hindsight (after you "followed your heart" or over-analyzed something).

Anytime you are in turmoil, or having a hard time making a decision, it is because more than one of these are conflicting with the other. If you can really 'listen to yourself' and learn the difference between the three... you will never be faced with a "difficult decision" again. You will always know your answer - which is what your "gut instinct" is telling you to do.

Emotions are kind of fleeting little things. They arent to be trusted with major decisions. I mean, just think about it - we've probably all loved someone 100% whole-heartedly... only to find out later they were cheating, or lying, or not who we thought they were (because we were fooled by our heart - which blinds us to everything else).

Logic cant really be trusted either. You will argue yourself out of wearing a coat on a winter day. Think of a courtroom trial. It's not necessarily about the truth or the facts... it's about who presents the best case. And when you REALLY want something (because your heart is rooting for it)... you'll twist logic to work in your favor.

Gut instinct cannot be manipulated. It's there. And you know it's there. And you stuff it away, ignore it... use the heart and the mind to argue it into submission.. then do what you want. Then later you say "I had a feeling..."
    This is a great read. I loved it. Anyone have any cool ideas or ways to find, and stick with, your gut?
    Sniff first, then scratch.

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by CircleC
    This is a great read. I loved it. Anyone have any cool ideas or ways to find, and stick with, your gut?
    LOL, that's not an easy task. I try to listen to my instincts, but I can tell you I'm so hard headed some times that I don't do it. How messed up is that? I don't even listen to myself? But I think it's all a matter of being able to interpret those feelings into the situation at hand. You have to really pay attention. I mean isn't it true most of us do something stupid and then realize after the fact, "I knew I shouldn't have done that" Well, we should have listened to ourselves. But truth be told you learn by not listening your "gut" feelings.

That's just what I think... LOL
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

Quote Originally Posted by CircleC
    My gut has a voice???
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Thank you

The best advise I can offer is to try to think through everything you are feeling and sensing. Identify what is based on emotions, what is based on logic... and what your "inner voice" is trying to tell you. In a state of turmoil, they are different things altogether.

When you make a good decision in your life, you feel confident and upbeat about it. You make your move without any doubts at all. It's a great feeling.

When you make a bad decision in your life, you have doubts - and you move forward with caution. You usually ignore that little voice telling you that this isnt such a good idea, and you dont even tell anyone else most of the time. But you actually have to convince yourself that you are making the right decision. And you rationalize. "Besides, xyz" you say to yourself.

When you make a good decision, you dont. There's no question about it.

Right on.

Let's say there isn't a pressing decision to be made. There is no issue at hand. One just wants to sit and listen to the "inner voice", and feel its presence. How do you muffle, or even silence, the other two faculties(heart and mind)?
    Sniff first, then scratch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast