+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The Reader

The Reader

Written by Bernhard Schlink. Great read. Has anyone had the pleasure of reading this book? If so, what was your opinion of this book?

I think I read this book several years ago. As I recall, it was an excellent read, but disturbing. Am I right? I am remembering it being about a teenage boy who has a sexual relationship with an older woman, he reads to her because she is illiterate, and she ends up being a guard (or something like that) in a concentration camp?

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    I think I read this book several years ago. As I recall, it was an excellent read, but disturbing. Am I right? I am remembering it being about a teenage boy who has a sexual relationship with an older woman, he reads to her because she is illiterate, and she ends up being a guard (or something like that) in a concentration camp?
    I had a feeling out of everyone you would of read this book haha. But yeah, you are right. I didn't really find it disturbing, thinking about it, I don't know why I hadn't actually. Hm, overall it was a great read, but way depressing at the end. Thanks for your input Shh! !