+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Late bloomer

Late bloomer

OK, first message here so let's see how it goes..
    Some background.. I struggled with social anxiety since my first day of school.. Age five.. And had a very hard time with this at school.. Few friends for the whole ride.
    Despite many advances from girls throughout school I never knew how to respond and I think I developed a stuck up kind of reputation.. Anyway.. Out off pure luck at the age of 17 I actually mangaged to break through this and ended up in a long term relationship for a decade... The whole time I kind of hid behind her.. She was extroverted and I just went along with things.. Was always silent around her friends etc.. But felt comfortable with her so things worked out.. A decade later we decided to part and I ended up alone again where I spent most of my time secluded..

Now for the good part.. I'm finally managing to break through my anxiety and depression and Want to get out there so to speak.. I'm still shy but nothing like before... The only issues is I have zero experience with this kind of thing.. I didn't get the "training" in my youth so to speak lol I have little idea how and it where to approach women without seeming like a dick head or making them feel uncomfortable.. I've done the occasional trip to the local pub but no one takes my fancy so to speak.. And likewise zero seem interested in me heh.. I know meeting women isn't easy for the majority of us but I just feel so uneducated on the matter.. Feel like an 18 year old or younger in a mid 30s body...
    I've done the online dating thing but everyone is so suspicious of your intentions.. Everyone thinks you only Wana jump in the sack and then run off..

It would be nice if I knew if there was somewhere where similar people grouped? If they do all? Any advice for a late bloomer?

I don’t buy your bullshit of no one is interested and everyone online just thinks you want to have sex
    Those are limiting beliefs
    A classic thing for depressive people
    Stop buying your own bullshit
    If you don’t have experience then get some
    A conversation begins with „hi“
    And you will manage the rest and get all the experience you need
    If you do online dating then you can talk to people about what they want and like
    Then you know if they are sincere or not
    Empathically judging people also takes practice
    Practice comes from doing things

But with all things you do: Stop the negative voice in your rad that is speaking limiting beliefs
    It’s not helping you. Instead tell yourself the opposite. There are people like you out there. It’s nice getting to know others And getting more experience and so on.

OLD can be demoralizing. Don't use it as your only way to meet people. Get involved in some real life groups that do things you are interested in. The shared interest will make it easier to break the ice.

I get that true social anxiety is difficult but try to remember that everyone is initially nervous socially.