+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Differences between good friends and interest?

Differences between good friends and interest?

It's one thing to figure out if someone you know likes you, but what if the person in question is one of your good friends? I've known this girl for a long time. (For those of you who remember [Maybe Tone, shh!, etc], this is the girl that I went to the beach party with in the summer.] She seems to be giving some little signs that she would like to be more than friends. Thing is, I don't know if it's just something that comes with being good friends. We went to a club the other night, and she did a couple of odd things. All of us were dancing in a circle, and she grabbed my arm for no reason. I looked at her and said 'what?'. She shook her head and let go.

Then in the car, my friend's windshields were all fogged up, so he put the windows down. It was really cold, and she put her arm through mine and put her head on my arm (like she was snuggling into it or something).

I didn't think very much of it until yesterday. We went to dinner to a place across campus, and at some point she links her arm with mine. We walk all the way there and back like this... I'd say we were walking 30+ minutes total like this... if not more.

She's a friendly person, and so touching isn't a big thing for her when it comes to small things like poking and stuff like that. I've known her for 3 years now though, and I don't think I've ever seen her link arms with another guy (she says she does it with her family). I'm having a really hard time telling whether this is signs of romantic interest or just that we're really good friends.
    If a dream comes true... then is it still a dream?

do u want something more than a friendship?
    Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses? - The Ghost of Christmas Past

Prodigal, darling!! Where have you been?

I'm trying to remember - I thought this girl lived in another state or something... I can't quite remember. Anyway, I told that I thought she liked you then, and I still think she does. Why don't you just talk to her about this? She clearly has affection for you, and I don't really think there is any way you can do any damage by just asking her. Try this: "Hey, -------, what would you say if I were to ask you on a date?"

That's a great way to ask shh!

Thanks Junsui!!

Prodigal - Be sure you use the word "date" so that you won't later be wondering if you were just hanging out as friends...

"Fancy a Fvck?" Like that guys t-shirt in "Notting Hill".

IS you friend cuddling with her other guy friends if that is the case she may just be that type of person if not i would say she interesting in you. If she single i would go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal
    It's one thing to figure out if someone you know likes you, but what if the person in question is one of your good friends? I've known this girl for a long time. (For those of you who remember [Maybe Tone, shh!, etc], this is the girl that I went to the beach party with in the summer.] She seems to be giving some little signs that she would like to be more than friends. Thing is, I don't know if it's just something that comes with being good friends. We went to a club the other night, and she did a couple of odd things. All of us were dancing in a circle, and she grabbed my arm for no reason. I looked at her and said 'what?'. She shook her head and let go.

Then in the car, my friend's windshields were all fogged up, so he put the windows down. It was really cold, and she put her arm through mine and put her head on my arm (like she was snuggling into it or something).

I didn't think very much of it until yesterday. We went to dinner to a place across campus, and at some point she links her arm with mine. We walk all the way there and back like this... I'd say we were walking 30+ minutes total like this... if not more.

She's a friendly person, and so touching isn't a big thing for her when it comes to small things like poking and stuff like that. I've known her for 3 years now though, and I don't think I've ever seen her link arms with another guy (she says she does it with her family). I'm having a really hard time telling whether this is signs of romantic interest or just that we're really good friends.

Tone Guest
    Hey Prod, I remember the beach girl!

I'm pretty sure I remember my advice too - and I'm gonna say it again ;p

Time to step it up. More flirting, more eye contact, initiate some of the physical contact so it's not just always her. Invite her out more, see about doing stuff together just the two of you, but don't make it seem like a date date. Just play it cool. I wouldn't quite ask her out yet, cause it is very possible after knowing her so long she just sees you as kind of family, but this is the sure way to find out - her response to you turning up the heat. If she seems to enjoy the extra attention you're giving you, when you look in her eyes she looks back into yours. If she seems to enjoy the physical attention you're now reciprocating. You know then you have the green light.

Also - I see that club scene as a big no no. I think you're on the verge of losing any chance with her you ever had. Cause think of it, she's done everything up to this point. Just when I picture her grabbin your arm and you responding "What?" and her shaking her head... ouch man!! She might be tired of puttin herself out there without you responding!

KEEP US UPDATED!!

Also - what happened to the OTHER girl!? The one across your dorm that you had an amazing emotional connection with!? You didn't turn up the heat... did you........ *angry Tone*

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    Try this: "Hey, -------, what would you say if I were to ask you on a date?"
    Genius. I'm writing this down somewhere...

On an on-topic note, yeah, I'm thinking she likes you.

the difference between a good friend and an interest is that if you nuggee your friend she lets go of you immediately but not an interest
    Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses? - The Ghost of Christmas Past

shh!- No, that was something else... from a very long time ago. I can't believe you remember that xD. The girl I am talking about is someone I've known for a long time. We went to the same high school and now we go to the same college.

Sami- Not that I've seen; however, I talked to one of my friends about it and he said she sometimes does that. I think that to other people she does it to (who are few, and sporadic- otherwise I probably would have noticed because we're around each other quite a bit) it's pretty momentary.

Tone- Okay. I'll try. I think maybe my advances at physical contact are too subtle, or not even strongly inferring that I'm interested in her more. I think I'm going to give it some more time. I like your approach. As one who doesn't give all that much eye contact, I'm making more conscious efforts to make direct eye contact. Don't know how it's working out: the reaction doesn't point toward friendship or attraction, at least to me. It may be because there hasn't been another situation since that night in which we were alone. Verbally, the flirtation is not a problem but physically I'm unsure of how to convey my interest to her without coming off too strong.
    If a dream comes true... then is it still a dream?

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal
    ...but physically I'm unsure of how to convey my interest to her without coming off too strong.
    I don't understand this. Sounds as if your saying that if you touch her, you're afraid you'll...what?
    Speak less. Say more.