+ Follow This Topic

Thread: college and future after highschool plans

lilwing89 Guest

college and future after highschool plans

right now i am a junior in highschool with excelled writing, drawing, and music skills. i didnt know where to turn my future until i talked to my school's counselor last week. she reccommended so many things but i found the broadest topic that included all of my talents to be graphic design/multimedia.

and i live in South Dakota now, and i looked at 2 colleges, and most specifically at their graphic design/multimedia programs. and there is 2 that i like, but i fear i will not be able to afford it. i have never been on the honor roll before..but i am this quarter(my gf motivated me enough to do it lol) and plan to be throughout the rest of highschool.

most of you know i have a job at the newspaper office as website manager. i also do some backup photography for my boss's side-business. its big with computers over there. they use all macintosh technology however. i had to get used to that! lol.. well i still only make a whopping $5.15 an hour and my boss goes around telling EVERYONE that ive done a year.5's worth of work on remodeling the sites. i plan to have computers a part of my career. well something with designing.

i dont think music would be my big career to start off with. that is my main plan though. the stable-normal-every day job thing is what im starting with though. we will see how i progress with guitar.

anyways back to the college stuff. there is one that is a 4 year(bachelor's) and that is about 4 hours away(yikes!) and the one that is 2 hours away, is a 2 year(associative) and i havent looked at statistics or anything of which one is more successful from colleges or anything..but i know that bachelors prolly would get the higher job. but its 4 hours away. the only reason i would go to the 2 year is because friends and family is closE(most importantly my gf) but if i lose my gf, this will not matter to me anymore. my gf would be in highschool 2 years after i graduate. and she might move to the town that is 2 hours away so if we are still together then, it will work out perfectly

ofcourse there is other things that matter, like finding a job and a place to live.. but i am just like worried sick about all this (and so is my gf)

i just need some encouragements or suggestions or something from you guys

love ya!!!!

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, I'm really glad to hear you're putting some real thought into your future, lilwing. I've been out of hs for let's say awhile now....and if I can tell you anything, it is 'Do what you love, and love what you do.' That way it will never feel like work.

As for your gf....don't ever let that be a deterrent to going to school, or determine where you will go to school. Most teenagers don't realize that their hs relationship is just one of many they will have in their lifetime. Your education should be first and foremost.

I gave up a full time university education to stay with my hs bf, and I'm kicking myself for it to this day. It's cost me twice as much and been twice as long and hard to complete my schooling. So put school first, gf second. Plus, there's plenty of smart, hot girls in college. Good luck!
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

You could start out at the 2 year school and transfer to University afterwards. That will save you money in tuition and housing. YOu definitely want to end up with at least a bachelors degree. Forget about the girls - they will fall into your lap when you have achieved some level of success.

I had a professor once tell me to NOT take a job in the thing you are most passionate about. Once you begin getting paid for the thing you love, you begin to love it less because it is a job. His advice was to get employment in something you enjoy, and keep the thing you are most passionate about separate, just for your own pleasure. That also seems like sound advice.

lilwing89----"there is one that is a 4 year(bachelor's) and that is about 4 hours away(yikes!) and the one that is 2 hours away, is a 2 year(associative)"

You're off to a good start because at least you have an idea of where your talents lie. Plus you've done some work with websites, photography etc. Now get the formal training by going for the 4year B(A). It'll open the doors for you when you want a job with big ad agencies. Some people get into the business without any formal training and just based on the strength of their portfolio. Those are the really talented. Most of us have to get our foot in with a piece of paper. This 4year investment will mean sacrifices like moving far way from home, girlfriend etc. However, it's for your future so I think you should try pursue it. Oh and start working on your Mac skills.
    Art college is expensive because you've got to pay for all the stuff like paper, paints, brushes (eg. freaking $15 for one sable-hair brush), canvases, boards, equipment etc etc. So yes, you have to examine your budget to see if you can afford it.

Tone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    I had a professor once tell me to NOT take a job in the thing you are most passionate about. Once you begin getting paid for the thing you love, you begin to love it less because it is a job. His advice was to get employment in something you enjoy, and keep the thing you are most passionate about separate, just for your own pleasure. That also seems like sound advice.
    Wow that does make sense.

And yeah lilwing... chances are you two won't be together next year let alone the rest of high school and into college. I'm NOT being mean, I'm just being REAL. So don't worry about that now, still a long time before you have to worry about making that kind of decision. It is good you're thinking of your future, but do NOT worry about the whole "Oh baby what am I gonna do without you.. I know I'll just not go to 4 year college so we can be together!"

Like shh! said, go to the 2 year college first, get the easy stuff out the way for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Chlorine
    Art college is expensive because you've got to pay for all the stuff like paper, paints, brushes (eg. freaking $15 for one sable-hair brush), canvases, boards, equipment etc etc. So yes, you have to examine your budget to see if you can afford it.
    … i never understood the craze about sable-hair brushes, though. they made me buy one too, and i've only used it once!

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    Agreed. True Story:

One I was younger, a lot younger, I took a job at a strip bar being the announcer of the ladies and keeping tabs on lap dances etc. I quit after 5 days because I was getting nervous; being around naked women wasn't doing it for me anymore.
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd95
    Agreed. True Story:

One I was younger, a lot younger, I took a job at a strip bar being the announcer of the ladies and keeping tabs on lap dances etc. I quit after 5 days because I was getting nervous; being around naked women wasn't doing it for me anymore.
    i don't believe you! you probably got fired, because you wouldn't keep your hands off the ladies …

No, but my best friend's younger sister was working there; that was odd to say the least. I'd known her since she was like 6.
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Tone Guest
    Was she hot?

Oh yes.

lilwing, you are ONE LUCKY BASTARD for being in the position you are in now...

...enjoy the journey!

that's all i have to say