+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 days straight of period..HELP

15 days straight of period..HELP

Ok...my girlfriend's average period lasts 4 days. She is on the depo-vera birth control shot but just 2 weeks ago she began taking antibiotics for her ear and ever since that she got her period and its not going away. Today is the 15th straight day and we dont know whats going on. I called a pharmasist and he said that the antibiotic shouldnt interfere with the depo vera shot. I dont know whats going on because your not even supposed to get your period at all on this shot. Anybody know whats going on? Thanks.

I think it is the shot, that can **** your periods up big time.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bhentges
    Ok...my girlfriend's average period lasts 4 days. She is on the depo-vera birth control shot but just 2 weeks ago she began taking antibiotics for her ear and ever since that she got her period and its not going away. Today is the 15th straight day and we dont know whats going on. I called a pharmasist and he said that the antibiotic shouldnt interfere with the depo vera shot. I dont know whats going on because your not even supposed to get your period at all on this shot. Anybody know whats going on? Thanks.
    Yikes! I think you should definitely call her physician. Is this a relatively new form of birth control? It is not uncommon for there to be an adjustment period (no pun intended) when beginning a new form of chemical birth control, but even then, 15 days seems excessive (unless perhaps she is only spotting?). It wouldn't hurt to call her doctor.

I doubt very much the antibiotics are related, though.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

my ex had this issue, she was on the shots, sometimes period would be 10days, sometimes 2 days.. hope this helps.

There's no way to NOT have a period. But it can space them out a long time, and if it does that, expect a bad period.
    I'm drowning in assholes.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes there is Debunkt. Birth control pills comes in packages of three weeks of pills, plus one week of dummies you take during your period. If you take the real pills all the time, you will not have periods, but that just sounds creepy to me since a woman's body is meant to bleed.

Anyway, the chemicals they give you by injection are the same ones they put in pills.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti
    Yes there is Debunkt. Birth control pills comes in packages of three weeks of pills, plus one week of dummies you take during your period. If you take the real pills all the time, you will not have periods
    That's stupid. If somebody does that, they should expect there body to get messed up. I know there's birth control that can give you 4 periods a year, but not none.
    I'm drowning in assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Debunkt
    There's no way to NOT have a period. But it can space them out a long time, and if it does that, expect a bad period.
    A woman can use the IUD, which is a chip placed in the uterus, to prevent pregnancy. And typically, within 3 to 6 months of having the IUD inserted, a woman stops getting her period all together.

I often bleed for between 10-15 days. And then another 15 days later, ... it happens again.

That is my sad and unfortunate conundrum. Me and the doctors and looking into, but there has already been a host of tests and apparently nothing is wrong. But there are more tests to come, to be safe.

I'm not on any type of chemical or hormonal birth control.

My period started to change in my mid 20's after being on the pill for about 5 years. When I went off of it, it became more regular, but longer.

Soooo, who knows? It could just be a one-off for her in which case it probably is just at adjustment. But it is definitely worth looking into. I sadly find doctors are pretty deficient in knowledge as far as women's issues are concerned (even women doctors! but especially men).

If her pattern continues she should try to see a gynecologist. I've decided that is what I want to do, but I have to have my GP agree to it first. Arrgggh.

and yikes I'm pretty sure that is more information than anyone really wanted to know.
    Last edited by clynn; 06-02-06 at 01:39 PM.

well if she has a knife wound then its normal ... but else than that , actually iv already seen my ex have a period for that long ... so it should be ok in a couple of days ... if not then go see a doctor .

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ok yet another reason I don't get the shot.....

Yeah thats a long time to be bleeding.... I would get mad if I bled over 5 days... Luckily I never have longer that that really.... Tell her to see a doctor....
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Quote Originally Posted by Debunkt
    That's stupid. If somebody does that, they should expect there body to get messed up. I know there's birth control that can give you 4 periods a year, but not none.
    No, vashti is right. Its not advised, but you can take your pills continuously and NEVER get a period. I mean, never, not ever. No doctor will tell you to do it and I don't think the results have ever been studied but it is possible to stop your periods for an entire year.

That's not a normal thing of course..... i think should go to the doctor and get that
    checked as soon as possible.
    There are several reasons for bleeding non-stop, i wont even mention them cause
    i dont want to speculate, but please just make an appointment as soon as u can to
    check her.

My Forum
    http://cryforhelp.myfreeforum.org

Quote Originally Posted by gHEXjt
    A woman can use the IUD, which is a chip placed in the uterus, to prevent pregnancy. And typically, within 3 to 6 months of having the IUD inserted, a woman stops getting her period all together.
    An IUD is not a chip, its a t-shaped device placed in the uterus and some strings hang down into the upper vagina.

There are two types of IUDs, one with hormones and one without and sometimes, SOME woman have slowing or stopping of the period with the hormonal one. That's not common and it does nto happen with the non-hormonal one. Lots of women who get an IUD instead see an increase in flow and cramping during their periods, but not a dangerous increase. IUDs are usually not given to women who already have heavy periods and extremely bad cramping.

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by gHEXjt

Oops, I wrote a legnthy response to this and noticed someone else already did it for me!!!! LOL

Anyways, I would have her go to see the GYN and have it checked out especially since this has not happened before. But I do think it's the shot that's affecting her.
    Last edited by Rosebud; 09-02-06 at 05:15 AM.
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast