+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Philosophy: Existence of God

Philosophy: Existence of God

Is anyone particuarly interested in this subject area? or more precisely "the existence of God". Reason why I'm asking is I had to write a essay on this subject and I need a second opinion. I would ask my tutor but she never seems interested. Any offers?

Thanks in advance.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I am interested. I am starting a microbiology class this morning, but I'll check in this afternoon, Kiechi, unless you get a better offer.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti
    I am interested. I am starting a microbiology class this morning, but I'll check in this afternoon, Kiechi, unless you get a better offer.
    Sure, thanks. Have fun

I was just looking through my Philosophy book a couple weeks ago trying to find the following argument I claimed was Plato but Shh! told me I was wrong...

Options.
    1. Believe in God There is No God: Well you're generally happier in life etc.
    2. Believe in God; there is a God: Win Win
    3. Don't Believe; There is a God: Your Screwed
    4. Dont Believe; There is no God: Big deal.

Result: You might as well believe.

Anyway; I'm now thinking this may have been.....shoot I can't remember the name. Either way; I couldnt seem to find the argument in my book anywhere.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

There is no philosophical argument that proves the existence of God. All of them have been refuted. Good luck with your essay.

WOW, that's ONE NUTTY essay to right.

'NUTTY' as in, it's so broad! There's so much you can right about!

Here's my take: Two Options: God Exists Vs. God does NOT Exist.

For the FIRST option: You can support your argument by using the following ideas:

It's hard to imagine a World without God, regarding the complex nature of society.

Over 90% (I forget the actual number, but it's greater than 90) believe in some form of God.

Miracles. Unexplained phenomena.

(to be honest, I don't know too many arguments from this POV)

For the SECOND option: You can support you argument by using the following ideas:

Evolution! Discredits biblical stories of Adam and Eve. An 'ENORMOUS' amount of anatomical evidence exist about the occurance of evolution. It's overwhelming, to the point were biologists do not call evolution a theory any longer, it's become a fact.

If you are the slightest bit interested in evolution, or want to learn about it, you should check it out.

Of course, there are other ideas that could be used to argue one way or another. These are just what pop to mind first.

If I was to write a paper, the position of God NOT Existing would be easier to write about, because you are citing FACTS. Whereas in the other view, the writing will be more pursuasive (which is harder to do).

Good Luck!
    Last edited by RSK; 12-02-06 at 10:37 PM.

a good argument is that God only exists (through the eyes of your average atheist) through stupidity but not ignorance.

(However) I am not atheist, I merely try and emulate the ignorance someone would have as if I were never taught or brought up in a religious world. Atheism is about having knowledge about god, yet rejecting it for whatever reason you've been fed. Which IMO, makes you just as bad as a believer.
    Last edited by PKsEvolution; 07-02-06 at 12:54 AM.

if you choose the stance of God NOT existing, then you should read these pages as a starting point....

(i'll copy and paste a link to the first few pages.................i'll bill you later )

look over the preview of the first few pages, you'll see how the author kinda discredits creationism (God), while discussion the astronomical amount of evidence for Evolution.............

i wanna know, how a priest, who has studied biology, views the debate?
    Last edited by RSK; 12-02-06 at 10:39 PM.

Kiechi, the problem with your topic is that you can really only argue one side. If you want to argue the non-existence of god(s), you would have to disprove literally thousands of religions. Just b/c you disprove the Christian God doesn't mean the Hindu God or the Balinese God aren't real. It's far easier to argue in favor of a god(s) and let others try to refute it. However, this has already been done for several millenia. Every argument designed to prove god(s) existence has been defeated.

PK, atheists have no reason to prove the non-existence of god(s) since they are witholding their belief until evidence comes forth. It would be like me asking you to prove invisible unicorns don't exist. The burden of proof lies upon the individual making the positive claim. So far no evidence has been provided. In my opinion, someone who does not believe in God(s) appeals to logic.

Quote Originally Posted by RSK
    WOW, that's ONE NUTTY essay to right.

'NUTTY' as in, it's so broad! There's so much you can right about!

Here's my take: Two Options: God Exists Vs. God does NOT Exist.

For the FIRST option: You can support your argument by using the following ideas:

It's hard to imagine a World without God, regarding the complex nature of society.

Over 90% (I forget the actual number, but it's greater than 90) believe in some form of God.

Miracles. Unexplained phenomena.

(to be honest, I don't know too many arguments from this POV)

For the SECOND option: You can support you argument by using the following ideas:

Evolution! Discredits biblical stories of Adam and Eve. An 'ENORMOUS' amount of anatomical evidence exist about the occurance of evolution. It's overwhelming, to the point were biologists do not call evolution a theory any longer, it's become a fact.

One of my FAVOURITE books of all time: [url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0465044263/sr=1-1/qid=1139247983/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3906979-2285718?%5Fencoding=UTF8[/url]

If you are the slightest bit interested in evolution, or want to learn about it, you should check it out.

Of course, there are other ideas that could be used to argue one way or another. These are just what pop to mind first.

If I was to write a paper, the position of God NOT Existing would be easier to write about, because you are citing FACTS. Whereas in the other view, the writing will be more pursuasive (which is harder to do).

Good Luck!
    I guess I should of explained in a little more detail at first. The essay title is "Can we prove the existence of God through human behaviour?". I have already written the essay and just want a second opinion. I've already addressed miracles and evolution <---- Richard Dawkins - Selfish gene. I would reccomend it but I didn't enjoy it much

hahah! i like that book too! another one of my favourites!

well, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeminole
    PK, atheists have no reason to prove the non-existence of god(s) since they are witholding their belief until evidence comes forth. It would be like me asking you to prove invisible unicorns don't exist. The burden of proof lies upon the individual making the positive claim. So far no evidence has been provided. In my opinion, someone who does not believe in God(s) appeals to logic.
    Yah, you're right in a way, it only really applies to certain (probably the most open minded) Atheist's, since there are loads of different ways atheism can be interpreted. Humanists (who consider themselves atheists) are the extreme of those who strongly disbelieve in the existance of god AND often put up a fight to disprove it.

Also, out of interest, since you might know, do you know the name for someone who is ignorant/oblivious to our religious system?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Kiechi - if you want to, you can email me the paper and I'll have a look at it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    Options.
    1. Believe in God There is No God: YOU ARE STUPID
    2. Believe in God; there is a God: Win Win
    3. Don't Believe; There is a God: Your fine anyways because he is ALL forgiving
    4. Dont Believe; There is no God: Truth
    I fixed it for you.

Not this gay shit again.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSK
    It's hard to imagine a World without God,
    Yea, if you are a newb. lol

Quote Originally Posted by PKsEvolution

(However) I am not atheist, I merely try and emulate the ignorance someone would have as if I were never taught or brought up in a religious world. Atheism is about having knowledge about god, yet rejecting it for whatever reason you've been fed. Which IMO, makes you just as bad as a believer.
    Or it is about simply hearing the idea of "god" from others and then realizing how dumb the idea is. If I accept god, I might as well accept ninja turtles in my sewers.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 07-02-06 at 07:31 AM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi
    Is anyone particuarly interested in this subject area? or more precisely "the existence of God". Reason why I'm asking is I had to write a essay on this subject and I need a second opinion. I would ask my tutor but she never seems interested. Any offers?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Kiechi

you may find some information available here of interest and hopefully inspiration for your essay:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God[/url]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternity[/url]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time_theories_of_consciousness[/url]

Good Luck
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast