+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Give Space or Stay Friendlike?

Give Space or Stay Friendlike?

Hi, I'm 19 and my girlfriend of 3 years and I recently broke up. First love, first sex, I'm sure you've heard this plenty.
    We broke up because she said we had differences she considered major enough to make her unhappy in the relationship, and that she wants to be single for a while and to figure out who she is (she's leaving for college in 2 weeks). I'm sure you've heard this part as well, the it's not you it's me, I need to work on myself before I work on us, etc.
    Now the question arises, should I still have interest in getting back together with her a few months from now when she's sorted this stuff out (and is hopefully still single), do you guys suggest I stay pretty close to her and keep chatting on aim and acting like friends, or do you think that I should minimalize contact for some time to make it an actual break between us?
    I'm afraid if I treat her like a friend she'll get used to it and be happy to have just that, but if I go cold-turkey then she'll just fade away outright.
    I know a lot of people often ponder this, I'm just wondering if any consensus was reached on this forum.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think the general consensus is to make a clean break. At your age, most relationships are for practice, and it is unlikely you will get back together. To continue contact as "friends" usually leads to diappointment for the person who wants to get back together.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Don't lose touch completely, but give it a couple of months until you reconnect. Let her miss you.