+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless internet

lilwing89 Guest

wireless internet

yes, i live in a ****ing trailor park! but its in the middle of nowhere. the owners who run the trailor park also own a big restarant, a gas station, and a big hotel.. all in the same area. they just recently got wireless internet. im not sure what the security level is. one of the workers at the gas station told my mom that we can get wireless internet for free. and rumor is, its within range of our house.

i dont think that the security level is very high. mainly because the owners arent very computer sophisticated, and also because it is available for customers.

i dont want to ask them how to set it up.. so how can i set up a wireless connection?

King Zarathu Guest
    Simple. You have a wireless card? If you do, you should have an icon in your task pane. Pull it up, scan for wireless networks in range, click it and click "Connect."

Wireless will be slow and, generally, a piece of shit. I don't suggest using it unless you're trying to hack into the other computers in the trailor park which is near impossible unless they're running listening sockets like servers.

I just got wireless in my new apt too, and yes, it is slow, and yes, it is a piece of shit. It only connects in this one little corner in my room and then barely has a signal. Anyone more computer orieted than myself have any suggestions? Im not buying a new card or fancy gadgets, but anyone know how to get a better signal/where I should put the pc?

King Zarathu Guest
    It depends on where the router is.

Anything closer to the router is a good thing. Buying fancier gadgets and all that additional bullshit has the sole purpose of letting you piss your money away on something. Don't do it.

Besides, why don't you just get a direct ethernet connection?

No router... I mean like radio signal from the nearby university building the reeeeeealy crappy signal

And in my apt, you can only get internet if you have cable; cable is like 50 a month and internet is 40 on top of that, so, obviously that is out of the question...

The thing is, that like 5 people around the complex have good singals and routers, they just won't let you use the signal; and I don't know who they are to see if they would let my IP in for free... or charge me like 25 a month if they are assholes...

It's just annoying; forget about checking important emails when theres a cloud like 2 miles away...

King Zarathu Guest
    You could order a DSL link into your phone line. You would plug a modem into the phone jack (phone, not ethernet), and then plug ethernet from the modem into your PC. Easy deal.

Sup Zarathu buddy

Get a pringles can, and some tape, and wire... and make a reciever that you can put onto your house for better reception, lol.

If they have WEP, or WPA enabled on the router, then get linux, sniff some packets and crack it with kismet....

If they don't have anything, then open a browser, and type 192.168.1.1, and login to the router, and set it up to recieve remote hosts onto the network. Then go to [url]http://www.whatismyip.com[/url] and PM me the WAN ip of the router.

I run wireless at my house. I could use wires but Wireless is so nice and I'm shocked you guys say it is slow. I've had nothing but fast connections over my network.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    If they don't have anything, then open a browser, and type 192.168.1.1, and login to the router, and set it up to recieve remote hosts onto the network. Then go to [url]http://www.whatismyip.com[/url] and PM me the WAN ip of the router.
    Haha.. he doesn't have/know *nix. However, it might not be 192.168.1.1. If they're using a 2Wire homeportal or whatever, it'll be 172.16.*.*. If it's anything ISDN-related, it'll be like 10.0.*.*.

Since you're most likely using Winblows, go to Start > Run > "cmd"

Then, in the command prompt (the black box that popped up) type "ipconfig /all" And look for "IP Address." That would give you your internal IP. If it is a 192.168.*.* subnet, it might be 192.168.0.1, or something along those lines.

My friend used aluminum foil for his receiver....

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    I'm shocked you guys say it is slow. I've had nothing but fast connections over my network.
    Well, it's slow for me because I have to do that "pro gaming" thing, and a couple of milliseconds is noticed extremely easily for me. Same with my monitor. Right now, the time it takes to get from my PC to my monitor is 8 milliseconds. I wish it was like 2, because you can tell. My mouse is perfect though. I'm using a Logitech G5. Google it.

[url]www.speakeasy.net/speedtest[/url] <--- TAVS: Run a speed test. I guarantee you'll get better results with wires.
    Last edited by King Zarathu; 16-08-06 at 04:43 AM.

lilwing89 Guest
    for me i want the wireless shit because my rents wont buy ethernet line (which is $50 less than dialup, when we dont even HAVE a phone[we all ahve cells])

so a 50.6 kbps (dialup) is much slower to me than 212 kbps (wireless)

lilwing89 Guest
    and i brought home a shitapple from work with airport (btw) and got a signal.

where can i get a wireless card and how do i know what one to get?

King Zarathu Guest
    Hmm, 50.6 Kbps? Are you sure that's the number?

And regarding your wireless card, if it's a Windows/*nix laptop, just buy a standard linksys. It'll fit in your PCI slot, and once you install drivers you should be good to go.

lilwing89 Guest
    YAY thanks zarathu! im sure thats the num. btw the wireless is a 192.168.1.1. lol. im trying to set it up for my nintendo ds but im not sure what the hell is what or what i need or where to get it other than the ip and the 255.255.255.0.

King Zarathu Guest
    The 255.255.255.0 would be called the subnet mask, which is different than subnet. Don't worry about it.

**** your nintendo. =/

lilwing89 Guest
    yea thats it. i want to worry about it

**** ur linsux =/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast