+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Depressed

Depressed

What are the 'classic' signs of depression? I've know at least two, and I have them both.

If anyone else has been depressed, what kind of things do you do to help? I need help.

Thanks in advance.
    Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.

King Zarathu Guest
    They cut themselves, listen to Good Charlotte, say "lol," and use more than one exclamation point at the end of a sentence (or ones).

Feeling blue? well, of course, everyone has their ups and downs.. but here are some signs I found on the net anyway.
    It's important to note that it's possible to have many of these without actually being depressed, and it's equally possible to have few or even none of them and still be clinically depressed.
    did you have any depressive phases years ago? that type of thing can rebound and you sorta get into a pattern with it.

• Exhaustion on waking
    • Disrupted sleep, sometimes through upsetting dreams
    • Early morning waking and difficulty getting back to sleep
    • Doing less of what they used to enjoy
    • Difficulty concentrating during the day
    • Improved energy as the day goes on
    • Anxious worrying and intrusive upsetting thoughts
    • Becoming emotional or upset for no particular reason
    • Shortness of temper, or irritability

[url]http://www.lessons4living.com/depression_test2.htm[/url]

Feeling distracted, unable to concentrate, not sleeping well. Not eating or not eating much, feeling sad or blue. I know cuz I've suffered from deppresion since I was 13 and been feeling pretty deppressed myself lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay

• Exhaustion on waking
    • Disrupted sleep, sometimes through upsetting dreams
    • Early morning waking and difficulty getting back to sleep
    • Doing less of what they used to enjoy
    • Difficulty concentrating during the day
    • Improved energy as the day goes on
    • Anxious worrying and intrusive upsetting thoughts
    • Becoming emotional or upset for no particular reason
    • Shortness of temper, or irritability

[url]http://www.lessons4living.com/depression_test2.htm[/url]

Thanks to all who've replied. I do alot of these... lately, I've noticed the waking early in the morning and not going back to sleep. I've been becoming very upset, at the drop of a hat... and my temper is terrible lately. Heh... I almost got in a fight with a security guard downtown last week. *sigh*

Thanks aegis for the thoughts.... zarathu, janedoe29 also.

I'd try listening to music... but I drift into an "Evanesence" theme. Mebbe some lighter stuff could work.
    Last edited by swuftyguy; 05-11-06 at 04:03 AM.
    Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.

I remember skimming over some text on depression and sleeplessness.. something to do with stress hormones that reduce the quality of sleep, making people wake up feeling exhausted rather than energized.

It definitely sounds like you're depressed. Might be a good idea to tell a doctor anyway just to make sure there are no medical causes for those same symptoms.

It's risky to suggest "oh start doing this or that and you'll feel better" to a depressed person. It implies that there's something they can do to easily get themselves out of it- and often this is simply an impossible thing to ask, due to their.. I dunno, brain chemistry or whatever the causes are, and the more people tell them to "pull yourself together!" and "you just need to get out more", etc, the more hopeless they'll feel.

I hope you don't have it that bad- i'm just saying, don't let people tell you that stuff.

Thanks for your thoughts Tiay.... they all are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by swuftyguy

I'd try listening to music... but I drift into an "Evanesence" theme. Mebbe some lighter stuff could work.
    IMO, listening to any music is good for you, even if it's dark. It keeps your soul engaged.

I've been slowly coming out of a pretty lengthy depressed period- no sleep, no eating, no productivity, no interest. Somebody recommended trying DLPA, an amino acid supplement, which I've been doing for about a week. I'm feeling better. I'm not sure if it's the DLPA or just the fact that I finally DID something, which sent my subconscious a message. Anyway, I got this stuff at the health food store, and it wasn't prohibitively expensive. Worth a shot.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I go through bouts of depression which I think are related to hormone surges. When it becomes unbearable, I have gone to the doctor who has given me meds. I don't take them for long enough to actually produce any results though, and eventually I feel better.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I usta be on meds (Prozac) for depression, back around my separation. After I got back on my feet a bit, I 'weened' off of those. I can't really say this 'funk' has been any more than just severe sadness. I get overwhelmed with not being able to control situations. Part of it is I hafta try to cope with some aging issues in my family. The other part is relationship issues.

Music does help, but I hafta be careful what I listen to. Some songs don't help... they only make it worse.

Thanks again for the suggestions... they are greatly appreciated.

yeah this is the right thread

I'm in depression for sure. i restarted to smoke, a lot; drinking more often ,ect

On that test Tiay gave link to I skored 23, so its a Mild Depression. Yeay Im not dying yet

about music, its a great cure

Just an update guys.... I didn't want to leave you hanging. I'm feeling somewhat better. I've patched up a relationship I didn't want to lose. This was probably the main cause for the depression. True, I do still have the health issue... but the relationship is back on course now. Thanks for all the concern and help.

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by swuftyguy View Post
    Just an update guys.... I didn't want to leave you hanging. I'm feeling somewhat better. I've patched up a relationship I didn't want to lose. This was probably the main cause for the depression. True, I do still have the health issue... but the relationship is back on course now. Thanks for all the concern and help.
    Yikes, so you're relying on an unstable relationship for your happiness?

Not a good sign, here.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys.

Quote Originally Posted by swuftyguy View Post
    What are the 'classic' signs of depression? I've know at least two, and I have them both.

If anyone else has been depressed, what kind of things do you do to help? I need help.

Thanks in advance.
    If its really serious check yourself into a hospital. Just tell em your really really dispress and you need help.

If its not as severe but severe enough to effect your life. Go get a referal from a doctor to see a therapist that can help you and get anti-depresents if its pretty bad.
    I want a girl who likes to talk. ......I just dont know what to say sometimes and would rather just listen.