+ Follow This Topic

Thread: how not to be pessimistic

LostNotFound Guest

how not to be pessimistic

everybody's always suggesting i'm a very pessimistic/serious person. any ideas on how to 'ligthen up' around people? thanks.

First off, the attempt to think positively means your one step closer to leading a happier life. As long as you think negatively, you wont ever be truly happy. So you have already made some progress by coming to the conclusion that you want to be optimistic.

The first thing I would have to suggest is to learn to find the good in every situation and focus on that alone. This is a extremely hard thing to do for a well developed pessimist. What your going to need is:

1. Effort
    2. Persistence
    3. An open mind
    4. Time

The reason you need a open mind is because you MUST be able to look at every and any given situation from any angle. Once you allow yourself to see things from another perspective, even one that directly opposes your opinions and morals.. will you see the good in everything.

Its important to note that you will also NEVER be happy in life until you are able to be grateful for whatever you have in life. You can chase superficial happiness all your life but you will always be let down and wanting more in the end. When your able to appreciate what you already have, you will be content. And when you truly content, you will be able to be happy.

When you find yourself looking and dwelling on the negative side of anything, STOP!.. and force yourself to look at the bright side. it takes repeated practice and application to get this down. Even if you feel like your faking it, in due time you will feel it becoming natural.

--Zach
    There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Easy - just recognize what you are thinking, and then say the opposite.

Friend: OMG!! Don't you think Jack and Jill make the bestest couple eva??
    You think: No way! She is a stupid bimbo and he is a man-whore.
    You say: Dude! They are perfect together.

See?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LostNotFound View Post
    everybody's always suggesting i'm a very pessimistic/serious person. any ideas on how to 'ligthen up' around people? thanks.
    Stop looking for errors and faults in life. Instead, look for things that make you happy; things that are good.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Easy - just recognize what you are thinking, and then say the opposite.

Friend: OMG!! Don't you think Jack and Jill make the bestest couple eva??
    You think: No way! She is a stupid bimbo and he is a man-whore.
    You say: Dude! They are perfect together.

See?
    That is lying, it doesn't work.
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/love9sick][/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/83163164[/url]

no, stay the way you are. Your view of the world is already ahead of 90% of the population.

Zach, I agree with you and all... but do you realise you put a LIST into a post about lightening up? a freakin' list with numbers!

Don't force yourself to change- be true to yourself. that said, the best advice I can give you is.. change your situation. I really lightened up when I moved in with two girls from college this year.. last year I was very serious and worried about projects way too much.. and now, I laugh so much every day, my face hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    Zach, I agree with you and all... but do you realise you put a LIST into a post about lightening up? a freakin' list with numbers!

Don't force yourself to change- be true to yourself. that said, the best advice I can give you is.. change your situation. I really lightened up when I moved in with two girls from college this year.. last year I was very serious and worried about projects way too much.. and now, I laugh so much every day, my face hurts.
    Yeah I dont know why I went all out on that one. I guess I was just bored in class and had nothing better to do. Who knows?
    There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

hehe it happens.

You know.. just the other day I had an exam in the uni. The first one this year and everyone was nervous.. I was trying to make them feel better being optimistic like never;p

anyway two hours later i was the last to give my papers and said something true - my optimism is always silly