+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Freshman year at college is going bad... how do i forget about her

How can you account for what is scientifically quantified as green but not know how people perceive it? Sure one can say objective green is really red, but there is a fundamental understanding of green through physics that says it is a definite wavelength. Regardless of your idiosyncratic green it does not change what is objectively green at a definitive wavelength.

Often we classify what we do not immediately know as esoteric and ambiguous. But really if we just motivated ourselves to understand the literature a little more we would not make conclusions that things are unknowable and subjective.

Goodluck,
    Borealis
    Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou art in, continue firm and constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    It is necessary to find the suitable words for the condition otherwise language would be trivial. It is there to help you better communicate and extract the ideas and thoughts in your mind. If it is a hindrance for you to find the right words then living with caveman would not be much different as living with Homo sapiens.
    ouch, man..

I've suffered from constantly not finding the right words, due to growing up with two languages and getting confused by it. I know what it's like to know exactly what you mean but being unable to get it across. It's one thing to not know what tea kettle is in english, or to not be able to structure a complex sentence in an essay that summarises what you wanted to say; But Fras did get the suitable word. It communicated what he wanted to say, and he even explained the usage of it. That's more than enough. You make it sound like we have to concentrate on maintaining our language or we'd somehow stop being able to communicate.
    Last edited by Tiay; 24-02-07 at 06:25 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123