+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Great article on Yahoo

Great article on Yahoo

My Reality Check Bounced!

A Twentysomething's Guide to Taking Your Time & Finding Love
    By Jason Ryan Dorsey
    Special to Yahoo! Personals

Jason Ryan Dorsey I'm a Twentysomething. Many of my guy friends are about the same age and single. For a few of them, their lack of a significant other is absolutely unbearable -- and not just on Valentine's Day. These guys are constantly falling in love with women they barely know. One date, two dates, and then they use the "L" word after dessert and a movie.
    What are they thinking?

I usually get a distressed phone call or text message a few days later when they can't understand why the woman they've just met (but know for sure they love) is not returning their calls. They've only left 41 messages -- and that's after another 16 hang-ups. Maybe their true love lost her cell phone? No. Maybe the Internet is broken four miles away? No. Maybe they should drive by her house to talk personally? Heck no.

After a few more weeks and a dozen more whiny messages, these relationship-needy guys get the hint -- and so does the girl: stay away from guys who fall in love before the appetizer gets cold.

For the next few weeks, my brokenhearted friends mope around like the world is over. They keep asking themselves why the relationship didn't work out. They thought she was perfect. They thought she would make a great wife. They thought she would make a great mother. Mother! They haven't even met her mother. They haven't spent a Thanksgiving dinner trapped at her parents' house to see what the family is really like. Yet they pine for this goddess of love whose middle name they do not know.

What has led these intelligent Twentysomething men to this position of neediness, clinginess, and recurring heartbreak? A few factors are at work.
    Great expectations, instant gratification

Many Twentysomethings have grown up always getting what they want. They got the clothes they want. They got the car they want. They begged for better grades and got those, too. And they're used to getting what they want immediately and on their own terms. They expect to walk into a coffee shop and get their triple-cream-mocha-latte with sprinkles made just for them, with their name written in bold green marker on the side of the cup to prove it. They also get their favorite DVDs delivered directly to their home, their emails forwarded to their phone, and up-to-the-minute weather bulletins displayed on their computer screen. They even have the option to get fresh groceries delivered, but they won't because they can't cook unless Mom helps.

In addition to being raised on instant everything, these consistently head-over-heels-in-love and heartbroken Twentysomethings have huge expectations. The real world hasn't always gone the way they wanted -- instead of making CEO in a year they make 4,000 copies in a day -- but they use their 12 credit cards to fill the self-esteem gap. After all, who needs to buy a red 3 Series BMW with chrome rims when you can lease it?

The one area in particular where these frustrated Twentysomethings have not yielded their expectations is meeting that special someone, falling passionately in love, and spending a lifetime traveling the world while their kid's diapers are changed by a nanny (okay, so maybe that's my dream).

Now add to this mix of high expectations and instant gratification the reality that many Twentysomethings grew up spending little quality time with their parents. Instead, they learned how to have a healthy adult relationship watching a combination of He-Man and HBO. Luckily, their parents have a chance to make up for lost time, since these Twentysomethings still live with them. But mooching off Mom and Dad can only last so long, 35 at the max, which adds to the motivation to find that special someone who knows how to wash underwear without turning it pink. All of which leads back to them rushing into love on the first date and saying so on the third. And why not share the L word while you are in line for lunch at an all-you-can eat $6.99 Chinese buffet? Is anywhere else truly more romantic?
    Advice for the lovelorn

Guys, if you're a Twentysomething and consistently heartbroken in three dates or less, here's some advice your friends are probably too nice to give you:

# Raise your standards -- having a shadow doesn't mean she's perfect for you
    # Start each relationship as friends
    # Take it slow
    # Recognize that someone out there is right for you

The secret to keeping that special person is to not scare them off on the first date. Make her laugh, feel comfortable, and want to hang out with you again. Give her a call a few days later, not a few times the next day. Have some casual conversations by phone. Let the relationship takes its natural course.

If you're not feeling the love, move on. And if you are feeling the love, don't say it right away! Instead, invite her on another date. And maybe, just maybe, she'll tell you the L word first.
    I love love. I love to love and I love being loved.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Youuuuuu faaaaaag.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Youuuuuu faaaaaag.
    You are soooo cranky! You're like an angry old man trapped in an angry young man's body.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    You are soooo cranky! You're like an angry old man trapped in an angry young man's body.
    Seriously.

After this, I don't want to have anything to do with my mother.

I totally hear you. Mine's just a pain in the ass, but yours sounds poisonous. Good thing this part of your life can't last forever.
    Spammer Spanker

Pathetic article written by monkies.
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/love9sick][/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/83163164[/url]

lol that was pretty entertaining.

it's true for everybody though, not just guys. eventually all expectations crumble, or so i expect.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Eh, I wasn't going to read it, but since you guys commented on it, I did, and actually, I liked it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Good thing this part of your life can't last forever.
    Unfortunately there are good things in my life right now I'm afraid will come to an early end should things progress ever downward.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Guys like that creep me out. The small town my mom moved to is crawling with them. Every girl I meet has some nut she dated a year ago following her around, watching her every move. I swear, women should be allowed to tazer dumb shits like that.

I think we should do it at the beginning of the relationship, in the interest of saving time.
    Spammer Spanker

Did I mention this was garbage? ...oh yea ....I did...well I am doing it again. This story is bullshit.
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/love9sick][/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/83163164[/url]