+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snowboarding

anachronistic Guest

snowboarding

i've never snowboarded in my life. on my class trip, we're going skiing/snowboarding and a few people in my class don't know how to do it either.

anyone have any pointers for me to keep in mind?>

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Learning to ski is easier than snowboarding. Unless you are very athletic, you will probably spend most of the day on your ass in the snow, so wear snow pants.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I heard the exact opposite, Vash. But I really know nothing about that stuff.

Hey, have a good time Lilwing. Sounds like a blast.

I ****ing LOVE snowboarding. I've been doing it for about 10 years, in Australia mostly but I've done trips to Japan and Austria.

For a first timer the most best advice is: YOU GO WHERE YOU LOOK. That includes down, so keep your eyes off your feet.

Keep your knees bent and point where you want to go and follow your hand with your eyes. That's really all you have to do - that subtle shift in weight is all you need to turn.

I actually think snowboarding is pretty easy to learn. You'll just end up with really sore thighs from breaking all the time and with really sore arms from pushing yourself up all day.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy View Post
    I ****ing LOVE snowboarding. I've been doing it for about 10 years, in Australia mostly but I've done trips to Japan and Austria.

For a first timer the most best advice is: YOU GO WHERE YOU LOOK. That includes down, so keep your eyes off your feet.

Keep your knees bent and point where you want to go and follow your hand with your eyes. That's really all you have to do - that subtle shift in weight is all you need to turn.

I actually think snowboarding is pretty easy to learn. You'll just end up with really sore thighs from breaking all the time and with really sore arms from pushing yourself up all day.
    thanks

anachronistic Guest
    where do you keep your weight? the front? the back? center?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    How do you snowboard in Australia? Fake snow or something?

Lilly Wing - Keep your weight centred.

Gribble - We have snow in Australia, not much but it's there. From Sydney it's about a six hour drive to the nearest snowfields. They have some natural fall - about a handful of powder days a year - but they have snow machines running on the slopes all night every night. They'd be ****ed without it. Anyway it's enough to have fun on.

My best friend went to France for 6 months to snowboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer
    Converse, you are exceptional value on this forum.

Cooool story Hansel

Well, give up the idea right now of being really cool on your first day. Just try to approach the idea of falling on your ass with good natured enthusiasm, and you won't be disappointed.

With regard to which to do, I think that snowboarding becomes fun more quickly than skiing. I've been skiing since I was a kid and started snowboarding about ten years ago. IMO, skiing will take you much longer to get good at, but snowboarding will hurt more the first day.

God, I remember having a bruise on my ass the size of a watermelon. It wrapped around my leg and down my thigh, since my ass is not the size of a watermelon and the bruise didn't fit.
    Spammer Spanker

anachronistic Guest
    well i just got back from my trip. to summarize what happened:

we got there wednesday night and went to a nuggets game. hott hott cheerleaders! then we went back to the hotel and sat around the rest of the night.

thursday morning we were supposed to go skiing but it started snowing pretty bad (we got about 16 inches of snow) and the bus driver refused to take us up. it wasn't even bad in the mountians. he kept purposely sliding and swerving the bus to change our minds, and about half way up to the resort, we turned around and went back to the hotel. we went to the 16th street mall (which is really pretty and unique) where i met one of my girlfrineds that lives in denver (i'll post a picture later)

friday we hired a different bus driver just to take us up to the resort. i went snowboarding. i was one of the only kids that didn't just stop after 20 feet and falling on their ass. i started on the intermediate course. i fell down a lot. it took me 4 hours to get to the bottom of the mountain (lol) i got pretty good, but i still have to bail myself when i get going too fast and stuff.

the worst bail was when i was going up a big hill and someone left their skis lying on the top and i didn't see them. i tripped over them and did 5 summersaults and faceplanted into the bottom. my board threw my legs over my head and i popped both my kneecaps. i have sprained muscles and bruises all over my ass lol. but it was fun.

saturday we went to a hockey game. it was pretty good, but there were no fights (i wanted to see one) then we went to this arcade place and then back to the hotel. some friends and i were going to sneak out and get some alcohol but we didn't want to get thrown in jail...

today we drove back at 6 am. i just got home.

anachronistic Guest
    picture as i promised:

Last edited by anachronistic; 02-04-07 at 09:56 AM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nice picture! Are you wearing a Pink Floyd Tshirt?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

anachronistic Guest
    yea. i'm one of the few kids today that likes pink floyd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast