+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Athiest and mormon...

Athiest and mormon...

Okay here's my situation and I don't have any clue at all what to do... Well there's a girl I work with and we both like eachother and I found out that she's mormon and I didn't really care because I didn't really know what was included in the Mormon religion. Apparently, the religion is very strict. Apparently, mormons can't date until they are 18. And also, apparently (last time I say apparently) I don't believe in God. But I find all the stories that she tells me very interesting, but I just can't believe in God because theres never been any proof to me and he's never shown me any mercy it seems. All the crap I've accomplished and gone through in my life was all me and there wasn't an ounce of "God" in me when I got through. But the thing is, mormons are super religious and she's extremely religious. And gah, one more apparently, she has to date and marry a mormon by age 21, and I think that's ridiculous. Since when should religion separate feelings for one another. She broke up with me not too long ago and said that we should just be friends and told me "Well...I kinda want to marry a mormon." The mormons have some stupid requirement to marry another mormonm, right? And this really sucks because I am so deeply...I wouldn't say "in love" with her but I really like her alot. Other girls don't look attractive to me, only her. I adore just about everything she says, does, even if it is religion-related. But it makes me sad because shes also moving in a year and a half, and after that I could never see her again. I cannot bare to think of her with someone else. But what's sad is is it really possible for a mormon to be with an athiest? I don't think I have a single ounce of faith in me and I think it's really silly for people to put religion in front of love. It just breaks my heart when I think about this messed up situation because I can't just be friends with her. I just...don't feel that way about her. I like her more than a friend but since she's mormon, she is alot more serious about religion and...I just don't see how a mormon and an athiest could possibly go together...

Please, I know that was a long bit of writing and reading but please someone give me advice. I want to know what to do... And I can't just change my beliefs for a girl. I would be lying to myself if I called myself mormon. By the way, she knows that I'm athiest too. But yeah, please help.

Oh man, I feel for you. I too am an atheist. I recently was in a situation very similar to yours. Me and this girl I knew both were crazy about each other. However she was a strict strict strict catholic... you can see how lovely this worked out. Anywho, we started to date behind her parents backs. Long story short, it came down to either letting me go, or having her family disown her. Well in the end I decided that it was best for us to stop seeing each other. As much as I felt that love should come before religion, I also thought that there has to be a reason that things were going as badly as they were. I figured that it would be better that she had her famliy than risk a relationship with me. This may not be what you should do, but I just thought I'd tell you about how it was for me. I know how hard this can be... it sucks at time to be an atheist...
    "Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes."

yes i too am an atheist. And i went out with a strict catholic for about a week. And already after that week i knew it wasnt going to work out and i thought it was best to give her up, It took a while to get used to but ur heart heals...
    Hysteria