+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Friend/Boyfriend Problem

Friend/Boyfriend Problem

I don't know if this is the right area to post this (since it's more about my friend than my S.O.), so I apologize if it belongs somewhere else.

I have been friends with this girl for about 12 years now, and we've become best friends for the past two years or so. I had major problems with my boyfriend about 3 months ago (read the WoW post of mine if you're interested in what happened), and she was there through it all; the lowest times, the heartache, my 2 a.m. calls, etc. She's truly a great friend and very protective over anyone hurting me.

That being said, my boyfriend and I got back together and everything is fine now. However, she- well, she pretty much hates him. I suppose I have been talking about him a lot recently; a few days ago she became irritated and asked if I could stop mentioning him so much, which I have refrained from talking about him in front of her since. He lives with me though, so it's difficult to tell her what's going on in my life (because so much of it is with him. I think it's just natural to talk more about someone you see so often) while keeping him out of it.

Just today he called my cell phone while she was over at my house and I asked her to hand me the phone. She looked at who was calling while she gave it to me and verbalized her disgust at seeing his name on the caller ID.

The lack of respect she's showing him is really starting to irritate me. I don't expect her to like him, but I don't appreciate her putting him down every time he comes up. He's my boyfriend, and I wish she would accept that he'll be a part of my life.

The problem with all of this is she recently started working at where I work, and I will be the one to train her. Basically I don't want to talk to her about this without her getting upset, since (besides the obvious reasoning of her being my best friend) we'll be working together so much. Any suggestions on how to do this?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Tell your friend to shut the **** up. You found someone you like, good for you. Your friend needs to realize that she isn't the one to judge your boyfriend.

she's been by your side as you said "in your the lowest times, the heartache, my 2 a.m. calls..." i read your post about WoW, and maybe your friend's act can be seen as something like she don't wanna be bothered again at 2 am by you complaining about him... because if he really enjoy WoW, sooner or later we will check how things are, and here we go again.

Tell her nicely (after all she's your friend and was there when you needed her) that she should stop to be upset about you being with him. Worst case scenario: your boyfriend gets addicted to the new WoW expansion, you break up, and your friend decides that she want's to sleep at 2 am and not listening your complains.

But i really wish you good luck with your friend and be happy with your boyfriend

what WoW - is that some sort of slang? ****, i must be getting old

about the issue - think about it, all the information that you friend has heard about your boyfriend has been bad - coming from you, she hasnt heard his side of the story or the good things about him, its natural when all you hear about someone is bad things, you are eventually going to hate them

or maybe she is just ****ing sick of hearing your whining, sick of your 2 am sobs and just wants to be excluded

solution: i dont ****ing know, my suggestion would be to either:

1) exclude her when gossiping about your boyfriend

2) tell her good things about your boyfriend, give her the "other side of the story"

in the end, there is two seperate relationship here, you have your friend and then you have your boyfriend, i would keep them seperate, but that means the next time your boyfriend is being a faggot, dont ring your friend and whine to her about it

She's been reliable and consistent, here. You're the one changing things up.

Remember, there isn't a single thing she knows about your boyfriend that she didn't learn from you. Yes, she could be a lot more diplomatic about it all, but she's only showing her loyalty to you. That is not the same thing as showing loyalty to your relationship with the guy who disappointed you in the past.

Ask her to keep her opinions to herself and make it easy for her by not mentioning him. Hopefully, you both can do this for the sake of your friendship, which will already be under serious strain because you're living together and now working together.

Have you ever heard the phrase "bros before ho's"? Remember, she'll be there for you if he lets you down again, but not if you alienate her completely.
    Spammer Spanker

WoW is simply the Devil. I know.. I shook his hand on more than one occasion. It cost me the only thing I truly cared about.

But everyone's right, you're friends theoretically should be there long after the SO.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The funny thing is Ath, I've never played World of Warcraft or any kind of online game before, but ever since I read your other thread I've become really curious about it. How could a computer game be that good???