+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: death

anachronistic Guest

death

Where do you think we go when we die? Do you think we go through reincarnation? Do you believe that we go to this weird heaven place where we have to worship a god for all eternity? Do you believe we just go somewhere else and live forever? Do you believe there is nothing after life, and that's it? Do you think we turn into ghosts that are unseen and unfelt?

I would like to believe that we go through reincarnation. I don't want to be stuck in a heaven where I have to sit through an eternal church service, and I don't want to go somewhere else. My biggest fear is that after death there is nothing. I don't want that!

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hope against all hope that there is nothing. That, to me, is heaven. You die and there's no more worry, no more concern, boredom, nothing. It's all over. You aren't being tortured by a sociopath god with a child's maturity. You don't come back for an endless cycle of crap here on earth. None of it.

I really don't understand why it bothers people so much to think that life is finite. You aren't going to be floating in blackness, bored out of your nonexistent skull. There will be no thought, no consciousness, nothing. That's bliss to me.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i don't believe in heaven or hell. when you die, that's it, there's no coming back. i also feel that a lot of people feel that they want their existence to mean something, which is why the thought of reincarnation has been invented. it gives false hope to those who fear death.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

LostNotFound Guest
    i don't believe in reincarnation. when you die you wait for ressurection and then everyone goes to heaven or to hell.

eternity's a long time.

*shudders*

anachronistic Guest
    I guess by eternal blackness and nothing after life, I fear being alone.

I don't understand why there is life, with or without what is after. What is BEFORE life? I remember things before my birth. It's weird.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you no longer exist you won't be lonely. When you're in a deep, dreamless sleep, do you feel anything? Are you aware? Lonely?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    Yes, technically.

Apart from reincarnation and heaven stuff, those religious hopes, don't forget that there may also be absolutely nothing. And no, that doesn't mean being alone in eternal blackness, your mind doesn't exist! There is NOTHING.
    Lil, I believe you don't remember things before you were born, its solely your imagination. Or you mean your previous life?

Ok, to be honest, it doesn't matter for me if death means heaven or nothingness, only thing that matters is the last thought in the very last moment I am dieing. Will I be happy or will I be regretting something? Regret when dieing is considered hell, and nirvana is the state of happiness, relief like the feeling after an orgasm. Think of it, it is the very last moment of your life, what if it is pending in space forever after you die? So, in conclusion, those who fear death have lived an unsuccessful life and biblical heaven or hell are just excuses to make up for life. Face it, life itself is pointless, so its up to you to give a point to it, do something that gives you relief!
    Last edited by boobaa; 09-07-07 at 07:10 PM.
    Don't expect anything.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    haha i gotta laugh. because i don't believe in all of this let me bring up other topic.. cryogenics. all these people believe that in the future, we will have the technology to bring these ice cubes back to life. i think this is also bullsh*t, but what do you think??

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    haha i gotta laugh. because i don't believe in all of this let me bring up other topic.. cryogenics. all these people believe that in the future, we will have the technology to bring these ice cubes back to life. i think this is also bullsh*t, but what do you think??

raverboy
    I must agree with you on that. But it does make for a good comedy like Austin Powers.

I don't believe you go anywhere, you're just gone. what annoys me about religion, though, is the arrogance, ie, we know this is where you'll go or this is what'll happen. So I should say, I don't know, but i'm inclined to think that there's nothing after death.

The physical structure that made your consciousness possible can only last so long. Or, in a deeper sense, you return to the earth because you'll decompose, basically.

edit:
    so why does "nothing after death" unsettle people? I guess because it follows to think "there's nothing? damn, that'll be boring and lonely".

but it wont be, because loneliness is an emotion generated *physically* in your brain. You can't be lonely if your brain is not functioning because there no longer is a you at all.

funnily enough, the definition of physical is "relating to the body as opposed to the mind", but really, everything is physical, including your mind and therefore your thoughts, feelings, emotions, etc. at least, this is what I think.
    Last edited by Tiay; 10-07-07 at 02:27 AM.

anachronistic Guest
    Tiay, did you just contradict yourself with a hint of hypocrisy?

Anyways, I believe that the mind/soul whatever you call it exists on its own apart from the body.

I believe that I don't know. I believe I couldn't handle the truth even if I were face-to-face with it.

Ultimately, I have more pressing concerns, like my life. I'll worry about my death when I get there.
    Last edited by Gigabitch; 10-07-07 at 06:10 AM.
    Spammer Spanker

If asked i would probably come up with the answer of nothing.

I think the idea of a happy after-life just gives people something to live up to. Religion creates a standard for people and a unity between them. It promises things without proof to make people do the right thing. Kind of a conscience boost. I think about it now and then but I never come to any conclusion except that I only hope it's something good.
    Quote Originally Posted by DharmicLove View Post
    This whole situation is retarded. Instead of getting yourself into a love triangle, you have somehow managed to create a "love square"?!?!??!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkScorp View Post
    .., there's no reason to think about anything.., if you're "thinking" you're losing.., just "do".., because nothing is a big deal.., unless you make it out to be..

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I believe that I don't know. I believe I couldn't handle the truth even if I were face-to-face with it.

Ultimately, I have more pressing concerns, like my life. I'll worry about my death when I get there.
    You don't even think about death?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast