+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A Great Friendship Stuck in a Relationship

A Great Friendship Stuck in a Relationship

I have a boyfriend who I've had for a little over two months now. We're both about seventeen and introverted. We're complimentary in the way that we are so alike that we have a lot in common and we can always count on each other to be there. We've never had a single argument or anything. We know almost exactly what to expect from each other really.

The problem is, we're not complimentary in opposite ways. What I lack, he lacks. But I believe he enjoys being in a relationship with me much more than I enjoy being in a relationship with him. I've talked to him about just being friends before but we can't be comfortable be friends until we both are basically mutual about wanting to be friends. So the relationship hasn't ended yet. I know we can't stay in a relationship that isn't mutual, but how should I go about making things more comfortable about having a friendship?

I know he won't be clingy to me, because he's basically told me he'll respect my needs. And we can't just not see each other because despite the fact he has friends, he's never really cared to get really close with them, making me his closest friend. And honestly, even though I have some close friends, he's probably the best person I have to talk to. Even though I know there's no way to make him stop liking me, does anyone have good ideas on how to help him feel more comfortable about changing to a friendship? And how to start getting myself to feel me comfortable, even though I know longterm it's not going to work out? Yeah, I know it'll still be bumpy no matter what I do, but maybe there's some best methods?

anachronistic Guest
    it sounds like you haven't even tried at working on those needs.

are you sure it's what you want? maybe we can give you advice on that?

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    it sounds like you haven't even tried at working on those needs.

are you sure it's what you want? maybe we can give you advice on that?
    i'm pretty sure that it would be difficult to keep this going eventually, but if you do believe you have good advice for it, i'm definately all ears. it's just that i've typical found extroverts to compliment me more emotionally. but i'm definately not going to rush out of this relationship because i know he is very wonderful and important to me.

maybe you guys can work on your opposite things together, if he is your best friend then i dont see what the problem is, we are all different, maybe you can try being extroverted together, or whatever else your lacking, but talking about is the best idea, good luck