+ Follow This Topic

Thread: music...in a relationship..?

music...in a relationship..?

I have this extreme thing where I cannot really get into a relationship with a person or REALLY like them, unless they have decent tastes in music or at least appreciate it...

...how about any of you...is music as important?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In the big scheme of things, similar taste in music is merely a bonus. The world would be a pretty boring place if we were all the same. It is really fun to tease my brother in law for his love of Merle Haggard.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    In the big scheme of things, similar taste in music is merely a bonus. The world would be a pretty boring place if we were all the same. It is really fun to tease my brother in law for his love of Merle Haggard.
    oh...I am not saying similar tastes to mine...just good tastes. Like for example, if they like rap, to have digged a bit deeper in the genre and find the true gems of it....etc...

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's a bit wanky mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    That's a bit wanky mate.
    I suppose...but I went out with a girl that I took to the Uni's "concerto" or whatever they like to call it...the orchestra played the 9th Symphony...and all she could say is that it hurt her ears.

Its not as important to me NOW. It wasnt on a must have list when I was looking for a lifetime partner. We have similar tastes which is great. When I was younger it was important to me because we partied alot, spent more time hanging out. Now being married we dont really listen to music all that much. (other than in a car)
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by TADA View Post
    I have this extreme thing where I cannot really get into a relationship with a person or REALLY like them, unless they have decent tastes in music or at least appreciate it...

...how about any of you...is music as important?
    Haha yes ! I don't mind if we don't share exactly the same tastes , but like you said they have to have dug a bit to find the good stuff of whatever genre they love .

If a man can introduce me to new stuff , then I'm REALLY impressed .

Yes , I am aware that this makes me also " a bit wanky " haha !

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I told my girlfriend I probably wouldn't be going out with her if we had no shared interests in music.

Of course we don't like everything of each other's, but I think the genres and bands that are most important to me at least, she appreciates.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by TADA View Post
    unless they have decent tastes in music or at least appreciate it...
    So what constitutes a 'decent' taste in music? I think you mean 'similar'.

When I was younger and music was my life I used to be pickier about this stuff. But now if I meet a guy and he's fabulous but listens to country (not my cup of tea) I can look past it.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If it ain't Dean Martin, Sinatra, or good ol' Sammy Davis Jr. I don't listen to it. For the most part.

I don't know if I have good taste or not. All I know is I can't stomach the stuff everyone else listens to. Oh, my god, how can you call that stuff music?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Gribble, are you actually a 75 year old man?

J/K I like Sinatra too. I grew up with Dean Martin, but I don't think I would download his music for my own personal listening pleasure.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

what do you mean 'digged a bit deeper to find the gems'? What are the gems? YOU defined what they are!

What you're basically saying, I think, is that a girls music interest doesn't have to be identical to yours, but she does have to share some core values about what makes music good, ie she can't be your complete opposite.

yeah, I don't think I could be with someone who thought that, say, the black eyed peas were the height of musical talent. Or one of those people who listens to hard metal grunge type music- the type that just sounds like indecipherable noise and shouting in extremely deep voices to a normal person's ear.

HOWEVER, I think these things probably matter more when you're younger. Not because young people are shallow or something, but because music is often a bigger deal, and denotes more than the contents of a person's ipod, but also their subculture. Ie, the hard metal music person also wears lots of black clothes and pale makeup and belongs to a group of friends with similar tastes- and therefore, say a rocker and an emo dating wont work out because there are so many more differences that go along with the music.

Personally, I'm pretty adaptable as I literally like almost all music. My bf introduced me to a lot of music that I love, but probably wouldn't' have given a chance otherwise. I'd say about 90% of my music was recommended to me.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Here in my car, I feel safest of all
    I can lock all my doors
    It's the only way to live,
    In cars!!