+ Follow This Topic

Thread: The Dysfunctional Relationship.

The Dysfunctional Relationship.

Prepare to relate.
    From Robert @ [URL="http://www.joy2meu.com/"]http://www.joy2meu.com/[/URL]

The way the dynamic in a dysfunctional relationship works is in a "come here" - "go away" cycle. When one person is available the other tends to pull away. If the first person becomes unavailable the other comes back and pleads to be let back in. When the first becomes available again then the other eventually starts pulling away again. It happens because our relationship with self is not healed. As long as I do not love myself then there must be something wrong with someone who loves me - and if someone doesn't love me than I have to prove I am worthy by winning that person back. On some level we are trying to earn the love of our unavailable parent(s) to prove to ourselves that we are worthy and lovable.

What is normal and natural in romantic relationships in this society is for a person whose primary fear is abandonment to get involved with someone whose primary fear is being smothered/losing self. The person with abandonment fears reacts to shows of independence on the part of the other as if the other were abandoning them. That causes them to become more needy and clinging - which causes the other person to pull away - which causes the first person to cling more - which causes the other to pull away more. Eventually the person with abandonment fears gets angry and disgusted and pulls back into themselves - which to the other makes it safe to come back and plead to be let back in. And after a short honeymoon period the dance can start all over again.

Interesting thoughts bd. I liked reading them.

I think as far as dysfunctional relationships go this is only the tip of the iceberg. One needs to also take into account people's chemistry, views on love, commitment, passion, the level of intimacy inside the relationship and distribution of such. Also the spark that gets lost with longevity. Imo there isn't just one type of dysfunctional relationships. There are way too many.

Keeping a relationship functional is a form of art.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The solution (which these types of essays almost never say, btw) is to be completely open about yourself & your needs. Transparent. Then these issues (or the other person if they can't handle it) go away.

Openess about self is the laser that cuts thru the bullshit.