+ Follow This Topic

Thread: 'different worlds' compability problem?

'different worlds' compatibility problem?

EDIT: Sorry for the typo in the title, could not edit it after posting, it's 'compatibility problem'

Evening

I have this interesting dilemma. I'm actually quite educated (through life and studies) with 'what makes us tick' topic, but I've spent most of my time and have had most of my relationships tied to people with similar background and experiences as me. So, at times, I find it difficult when it comes to 'two different worlds'.

In this case, a young girl (in year before last in high school, while I recently obtained my degree in university) has shown interest in me. We actually have only met once, and ever since she has contacted me online only (living in a different city, thus distance is a problem). She is a nice girl, pretty, intelligent and claims to be quite active and outgoing - though my gut feeling says it's not the case as she seems passive at times.

Now, the thing is, I fear there is a 'world apart' problem here and I am not sure what I should really do as my next step. I do like her, but really don't have a crush on her. But I also know enough by my now that I only ever really know when a person is a possible interest to me, or not, when I've seen her open up and quit the chit-chat. And chit-chat is a problem, and something I know girls of that age are very prone to do and it's something they'll really leave behind a year or two later when in university.

I am at a point where I might simply tell her that she cannot expect me to contact her just like that and try and push for new discussions to open up, tell her that she can contact me if she needs any help, but that I am really at a state where the idea of chit-chatting about random things doesn't fascinate me. If she were older it'd not be a problem - I'd simply stop, but I fear because of her youth I am incapable of rating what would be the right thing to do.

So any ideas how would one go about it in such a situation and what would a girl think in such a situation? Should I simply go a tad bit tough and tell her that while she can always contact me and talk about things, I really am not only interested in what's the weather at where she is living or how ridiculous this or that teacher was at some akward day. I know that some people - in fear of losing something that does interest them - might try to actually realize it and in fear of losing in might change what they are doing. Or should I simply hang on, see if she's able to open up a bit more to the topics that really interest her and see where things would go from there?

I usually really don't think about this all that much, it'd be so much simpler if she was already in university, but I know I am interested in what makes her tick, I am just not sure I'm willing to go about and pull a 'high school guy act' (aka the act us men used to pull in high school, acting like men but being nothing really like it - no home, no work, no career, nor any true aspirations in life) for months, if not years, to actually get to know the person. And I'm not sure if that's what she expected originally, or whether the reason she's shown some interest is because I'm already above that and while that is something she wants, it may simply be overwhelming to her.

Anyways, any advice and ideas are welcome. As a man I can analyze and do my best, but this is such a strange problem I am not used to face since I really have no idea how girls take or handle the situation when dealing in such a 'world apart' situation. Life is just way mysterious sometimes

Any advice and input would be lovely, especially if you've gone through the same thing.

My personal guess is that she is attracted to the prospect of an established, confident and successful young man (which I can proudly claim myself to be), but at the same time has no idea how to deal with the situation herself. May it be that she simply has a problem opening up?

Anyways, any advice and opinions would be lovely and trust me, I won't take it too seriously whatever the opinions or ideas might be since it's not a 'serious situation' by a long shot, but I know that if she actually -is- interested, I would not want to scare her off or hurt her by going cold and taking out my initiative completely, nor scare her away when confronting her about it directly. Too used to dealing with people who have a few relationships already behind them, younger girls though can be a puzzle I only tackled when I was a n00b myself.

Thanks
    Last edited by CWarens; 15-12-07 at 08:21 AM.

She's too young for you. End of story.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    She's too young for you. End of story.
    If I wanted a simple one line answer to the question, I would have turned to Ask Men forum I do realize she is too young. But at the same time, I don't want to hurt her. Next you'll see her turning into one of those 'what is wrong with me' people, I'm not in the business of hurting people but I realize that I definetly might have made a mistake in the beginning - expecting her to be more mature - and thus giving out signals that likely attracted her.

And my question is really not only about that one instance, but to all of you who have gone through that stage (being attracted to guys five-or-so years older while in high-school), if this problem is common or not and how did you act in a similar situation. Overall I mean, even if the girl is outgoing within her own community, is it common one would turn shy when facing a person one is interested in from the opposite sex slightly older than you?

I know that for men, at least for me, it wasn't such an issue, though I also never had a relationship with a university girl when I was in high school. And since it's likely I'll have to face such situations in the future as well (it's only lately I've noticed that even such a slight age difference does matter since high school is worlds apart from university) it'd be good to know about similar situations if you've ever gone through any?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Okay, I'm trying to cobble your story together so correct me if I'm wrong.

She's a junior in high school. That would put her around the age of sixteen or seventeen. You've graduated college. That would most likely put you around the age of twenty-two. Am I off?

Why would a college graduate be at all interested in a child still in high school? Find someone your own age. Hook up with her again in a few more years, after she's had a little time to grow.

Also, don't be a cockbite.
    Last edited by Gribble; 15-12-07 at 11:58 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

People get hurt all the time, what's the big deal?
    "You attract people by the qualities you display. You keep them by the qualities you possess"