+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Thinking you love someone and...

Thinking you love someone and...

This was weird when i seen it but...Does anyone know what it means to think you love someone than find out that you don't?

This happened to a friend of mine, he was in love with a girl he had been with in the past(as it seemed, i seen him cry over her once, i could tell he had feelings for her) than after she left him and dated another guy, he was alright and claimed he only thought he loved her....Anyone know what this might be? i've never heard of it, and if so...how does this happen?

Hmmm. I can say that I didn't even really know what love is when I said I loved my high school boyfriend. I was really into him and everything, but I realize now it was puppy love. I didn't really love him at all, not the way I understand it now.

Maybe when I'm sitting in the retirement home in my rocking chair someday, I'll think back on how I didn't understand love until I was 70.
    Spammer Spanker

My guess is either...
    1. He's saying that to help himself get over her by discrediting the relationship that they had.
    2. He came to his sense and realized that he was never really in love with her, but with the image of an idealized version of love.
    3. What Giga said.

I think that if a person looks back long after a relationship is over and believes that there still was true love, then deep down the person still harbors some trace of emotion either toward the other individual or the memories of the relationship itself. The opposite holds also, that in hindsight, one believes that there didn't exist true love in a relationship, then they are completely detached from their ex-lover or the memories.

It could be that he was expressing the pain of loss, not of lost love. Like Giga said, however, one's concept of what love is might change over the course of life. Interesting question.

~Sphinx

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Hmmm. I can say that I didn't even really know what love is when I said I loved my high school boyfriend. I was really into him and everything, but I realize now it was puppy love. I didn't really love him at all, not the way I understand it now.

Maybe when I'm sitting in the retirement home in my rocking chair someday, I'll think back on how I didn't understand love until I was 70.
    I could use some puppy love right about now
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

thanks for the replies everyone, emotions and how they work really confuses me at this point, i'm trying to peice things together to make sence of things
    Last edited by Sensetive; 28-12-07 at 03:47 PM.