+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you know

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Did you know

Rochester NY was the Soviet Unions 2nd choice of city to nuke if they decided to?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nope, didn't know that.

Source?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Rochester NY was the Soviet Unions 2nd choice of city to nuke if they decided to?
    There's so much that we are just now learning about the cold war and the former Soviet Union. They are even going back and rewriting old data that was incorrect that I studied when i went to the Naval Academy, but that's a new one i heard about Rochester.
    D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not sure what the source is Indi, my little sister told me she heard it somewhere. I can see how it would make sense though, Kodak used to do a lot of work with the government on spy satellite projects and such. During the 80s my mom worked on a project for the government through Kodak. She couldn't tell me much about it though

I'm not sure what the source is Indi, my little sister told me she heard it somewhere. I can see how it would make sense though, Kodak used to do a lot of work with the government on spy satellite projects and such. During the 80s my mom worked on a project for the government through Kodak. She couldn't tell me much about it though
    People would be surprised at the stuff that seems insignificant, those are usually stuff that is targeted as high value strikes with significant strategic and tactical value.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

anachronistic Guest
    That's why I am happy to live in the middle of nowhere.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I always thought Rochester was in the middle of nowhere though

anachronistic Guest
    I mean great plains middle of nowhere, lol.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Huh. But there was/is a big Kodak lab right in Cambridge, just off the MIT campus. In Boston (well, Cambridge, but most ppl would call that Boston). And they had a nuclear reactor on campus, not to mention all the physics bigwigs there at the time.

You saying Rochester was higher priority than THAT? Unless you want to argue that MIT was the primary target?

I'm just a bit skeptical, DM. What was the primary target on the list (you didn't say)?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not arguing on behalf of Rochester being the target, I'm just spitting it out there as some interesting and very possibly incorrect information. I just asked my sister and she said her history teacher told the class that, I'm as skeptical as you are but hey, may as well mention it

I'm sure in planning a nuclear attack there are many considerations taken into account and some might be kind of random. Like why the hell did we nuke Nagasaki? Our first target was Kokura or something like that, it just happened to be a cloudy day so we hit Nagasaki instead. Initially some military people wanted to nuke one city but some important guy honeymooned there and liked it so they decided against it

Like I said my mom worked on a project for Kodak that worked with spy satellites and that could have been some reason. If MIT had been making spy satellites for the government maybe they would be a target too

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If MIT had been making spy satellites for the government maybe they would be a target too
    Nah, MIT is a shite school. Nothing useful ever comes from there.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Haha yeah right (Note- I recognize your sarcasm). I know plenty of kids who go to MIT and peoples siblings who go there etc, it has some very good programs. If I was majoring in computer science for instance I would chop off my left nut to get in

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If I was majoring in computer science for instance I would chop off my left nut to get in

I think this may actually be part of the tuition. Really weeds out the serious applicants from the half-assed ones.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I always figured the USSR would have wanted to nuke the hell out of the midwest. Take out our missile silos so we don't bite back quite as hard, then focus on cities.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I think this may actually be part of the tuition. Really weeds out the serious applicants from the half-assed ones.
    I was a grad student in a lab with an undergrad working there as a technician. She had over 100K in tuition fees when she graduated. Made me sad & a bit embarrassed.

For science anyway the recipe to an education w/o financial ruin is as follows:

Decent state/provincial school for undergrad. Get kick ass grades. Get grad scholarship for ivy league/top tier school. So long as the school is decent, noone really cares where your undergrad degree is from. Its only your terminal degree: MD, MS, PhD, & your research pub record that ppl look at.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast