+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Online dating services - good or bad?

Online dating services - good or bad?

I'm considering joining an online dating service for the first time. Just looking for feedback/advice. Are they good or bad? Any experiences to share on what to do or what not to do?

A good friend of mine met her husband on match.com. They've been married for eight years now and have a child. She says the more costly sites are actually worth the money because they screen out the guys that are just looking to hook up.
    Spammer Spanker

Yeah, definitely be wary of the free ones. And I believe Match.com is the one that will give you 6 months free if you don't find someone in the first 6 months.

Worth a shot if you're willing to spend the money.

I have heard some horror stories and some great success stories revolving around eharmony. I haven't heard as much about match.com, though the benefits of it sound better from what I've heard and from what Cain is saying. It has its risks, but so does everything that's worth doing, right!

Some of the horror stories involved people being dishonest about their appearance up until the point of meeting. Others involved the 'compatibility' factors of matches being very, very, very wrong.

But most of what I've heard has been very positive -- and I've seen matchings result in successful marriages.

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have heard both. Anything can happen so if your wanting to get on one..What do you really have to lose?
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

They are a good way to make new friends and meet a big vairety of new people. Convenient, easy, effective.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

The whole idea that people can lie more online than in person is a complete fallacy. I see nothing wrong with meeting someone online. If someone is going to lie to you online they'd almost surely lie to you in person.

To avoid the risks, meet in a public place and don't give him your address.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've done a lot of online dating, and I found it a great way to meet people. You do get the occasional loser thrown in the mix, but usually you're able to screen them out ahead of time.

I met my current bf online, we've been together almost eight months and we're moving in together in two. Greatest relationship I've ever had. I was on Lavalife......never tried eHarmony or Match.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

I think it's a good way to meet new people. I would feel a little depressed joining such a site though. That's just me.

Why would you be depressed? How is it any different than going to the mall and trying to find someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    Why would you be depressed? How is it any different than going to the mall and trying to find someone?
    I don't know. I just feel that these sites are for losers who can't find girls anywhere else, and this is somehow their last resort. I'm not saying that's how it is, that's just how I feel.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i guess it's only as good as the effort that you're willing to spend on them.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagoose View Post
    I don't know. I just feel that these sites are for losers who can't find girls anywhere else, and this is somehow their last resort. I'm not saying that's how it is, that's just how I feel.
    Tell that to the many couples that have had extremely long lasting relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    Tell that to the many couples that have had extremely long lasting relationships.
    Man, why do you sound so angry? I told you, that's just how I feel and why I feel that way. Sheesh, you seem to feel very strongly in favor of such sites, i'm sorry if you thought I called you a loser in some way. There's no need to get all angry about it. It's just a forum.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Asparagoose View Post
    Man, why do you sound so angry? I told you, that's just how I feel and why I feel that way. Sheesh, you seem to feel very strongly in favor of such sites, i'm sorry if you thought I called you a loser in some way. There's no need to get all angry about it. It's just a forum.
    there is no need to apologize here. people will both agree and disagree with you. just take it with a grain of salt and shrug it off...

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast