+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Grad speach ever!!

Best Grad speach ever!!

PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL YOUR CHILDREN AND GRAND CHILDREN ABSOLUTELY AGREE.

This should be posted in all schools and work places and what about taking down that poster in your kids room and putting these up in their place.

Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1 : Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2 : The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 : You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5 : Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the cl oset in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

If you agree, pass it on.

If you can read this - Thank a teacher!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    lol that sounds familiar. I remember in high school teachers would say "Life isn't fair, get used to it" as an excuse to be complete assholes. Killing and intimidation are also part of life. So to answer your numbered points-

1) Life IS fair to the extent that all the physical laws apply to us equally

2) The "world" is not a person, stop anthropomorphizing it. There is no notion of it expecting anything out of you

3) Some people will make more than $60k out of high school

4) In professional workplaces you don't have asshole bosses like you do in more menial jobs. The worst bosses are the ones dealing with the least educated workers

5) You're right burger flipping isn't beneath my dignity, when I got a job at McDonalds it was easily better than my old job on a farm, which was easily better than my dads 40 hour a week job working the midnight - 8am shift in a steel mill WHILE going through college and getting perfect grades. Not everyone to graduate high school thinks they are above work

6) Unless your parents physically maim you or pass down fetal alcohol syndrome. There are actually many, many ways a parent can harm their childrein in other nonphysical ways

7) ok

8) Hell yes and thank God

9) You can get summers off if you get a good enough job such as being a good patent lawyer or plastic surgeon

10) ha

11) Not true. The people you'll probably end up working for are the social elites, smooth talkers, and kind of people who think they know everything. Nerds end up as engineers making decent salaries but with bosses FAR, far less intelligent than they are

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    4) In professional workplaces you don't have asshole bosses like you do in more menial jobs. The worst bosses are the ones dealing with the least educated workers

Wait until you get a professional job, DM. I had better bosses working at Starbucks than in professional offices. Those higher up in professional administration tend to think they're the cat's ass and better than everyone beneath them - and they'll let you know it without actually saying so directly. Oh, and working for lawyers? Forget it. Massive jerks.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well my dad is an engineer at Kodak and my mom WAS and they both said they never ONCE had an issue with their bosses, in comparison with their employers at other jobs

I've heard this from my other relatives as well

And I meant working AS a lawyer, not for them, even though I despire lawyers just as I do businesspeople and administrators

Oh and while we're on the topic of high school graduation, remember how all the teachers would try to give you life lessons on the last day of school? Maybe they didn't for you but they did for me. They all had good intentions but the best advice I got came from my economics teacher who didn't try to drop us some philosophical meaning. He said "You're young, time is on your side, save your money NOW and invest it NOW while you have this advantage. You'll never get time back"

Best advice for seniors just graduating. I took the advice too
    Last edited by DoesntMatter; 27-06-08 at 04:26 AM.

I despire lawyers just as I do businesspeople and administrators
    I'll remember that come April 15th..
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    lol not all of them GrkScorp not all of them!

I know several fine lawyers who are great people, but I agree with the bosses in professional occupations can be gigantic assholes. People abuse power at every rung in the ladder.

I liked the one about not expecting to make $60 K right out of high school. Actually, I kinda liked the whole thing.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Maybe there are more asshole bosses when the boss is in charge of BUSINESS and ADMINISTRATIVE people? Because apparently the bosses of engineers doing actual work are reasonable people, according to everyone in my family who is an engineer

Who cares? You aren't going to be an engineer, are you?

BTW - lots of doctors and nurses are assholes. They have a reputation for eating their young.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah I hear that from my relatives in the medical field. There's kind of like a pecking order in the hospital and you're supposed to know your place or something, is that right vash?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    Who cares? You aren't going to be an engineer, are you?
    No, but I had to bring it up for the sake of argument

Yeah I hear that from my relatives in the medical field. There's kind of like a pecking order in the hospital and you're supposed to know your place or something, is that right vash?
    I don't know if it is so much about knowing your place as it is protecting your license. Doctors write orders, but a nurse cannot carry them out if s/he thinks they may harm the patient (or she can lose her license), which means they often have to question authority, and the doctors resent this because they carry the most responsibilty. Really, the system is set up so that ideally everyone is watching everyone else's back, but in actual practice, most people with authority don't like having it questioned.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh btw, the correct spelling is "speech." Speech

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    But vash I have a question for you. How often do doctors get to bone their nurses?

Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    I know several fine lawyers who are great people, but I agree with the bosses in professional occupations can be gigantic assholes. People abuse power at every rung in the ladder.
    Except for private offices.., very laid back.., most often.., great bosses to work for.., or great partners to work with..
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast