+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grad School!!!

Grad School!!!

GUYS!!!

i'm kind of manic right now because for the first time in my LIFE I have an idea for what I want to do with myself, next year and in general. I'm actually afraid to tell anyone I know because a, I don't want them to deflate my enthusiasm and b, indecision defines me. They won't recognize the person I've become in the last 24 hours. HAH!

Anyway, on to my question. I need to take the GREs. Just the general test, I think. What kind of preparation is necessary? When should I schedule them for? I'm thinking of applying for the Spring 2010 semester. Do you recommend a GRE prep course or just getting a book? Anything else I should know?

I'd suggest a Prep Course like Kaplan...

There is a testing program on the GRE website (google it... I think its called Power Prep, im not 100% sure), that gives you a good idea of your score. The math I found easy, whereas the Verbal ripped me a new asshole. Take one of those practice tests, and then make a plan to study from there. The verbal is very vocab based. If you know your vocab damn well, then your good to go. Otherwise, start crunching out those flash cards!

Do you study German or what?

Deutsch ist zu schwer.

Du muss Nihongo benkyoshimasu ^^

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Do you study German or what?
    I have a BA in German, but now it's time to do something I can find a job with. (Hopefully.) I'm thinking either MBA or MPA in Nonprofit Administration.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I just went and wrote it...
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I just went and wrote it...
    no prep at all? Ha, that's TOTALLY the kind of thing I would do, but I don't want to be rash about it. The deadline for fall admissions is January 15th, so there's no guarantee I'd even be able to get an appointment, let alone get my scores back in time. So I feel like I might as well do some prep if I have all this time. I'm going to do a practice test today. Maybe if I do well I'll schedule the test for next Monday

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No, I didn't study for it. But that was off the cuff. Most ppl do study I think. There are these prep books you can buy (or get from the library, see which ones are best).

I found the biggest issue was the timing. There's a lot of material on these exams, so make sure you know your stuff cold. The practice exams should help with that and decreasing exam nerves.

Make sure you get lots of sleep the couple nights before (not just the night before, you might not sleep well from nerves). I found that sleep was way more important to me in doing well.

Jan 15th isn't a lot of time, tho, if you want to prep. If you are serious about this, then just do a bunch of practice tests, that will be most helpful in the short amount of time you have.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

My plan is to apply for the Spring Semester 2010. The only problem is they might not offer fellowships/grants - I haven't heard back - the admissions website only talked about that for the fall admission. So then I could take the GREs in April or May and apply by October... although I'd kind of like to get this all DONE. But doing well on the GRE would be nice.

The other great thing about this is I could do the summer job I want to - last hurrah, you know? - and then start up in the spring.
    Last edited by lovesjoyajm; 06-01-09 at 01:03 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Is this for a science program, tho? Usually the grad courses follow a Fall to Spring schedule for the prerequisites. Just something to think about to make your life easier.

If its not science tho, you are probably fine but I'm not certain.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but the GRE I seem to remember was given in section blocks, so you can't go back later and add or fix anything. Factor this into your studying.

This was a looong time ago for me, tho. Mbe Lesa can help you? I think she's in grad school. Or OV, who just finished a Masters.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

It's not for a science program. I haven't actually decided which degree to go for, I need to look at the specifics for each, but it'll be either Business or Public Administration (or Nonprofit management if it's available, doubtful.)

Just bought a GRE prep book and will be spending some quality time with it for the next few months.

OK, parents. Tell me if this is reasonable. Since I just made this decision about grad school and the application deadline is January 15, I clearly need to wait another semester before applying. (Haven't even taken the GREs yet.) So Spring 2010 would be when I start. My visa is up July 1st and I just booked my flight home for that day. So I want to fly out to NM on July 2nd and do the summer job I did last year. I'd make about $1000 a month, pay around $300 for the flight. Be there until the end of August (well, preferably the end of November if I get the fall job.)

My mom and I had a GREAT conversation where I told her my grad school idea, she seemed really excited and pleased with the idea. Then she asked "Why are you coming home the day after you finish working (July 1)? Is it because you want to go back to NM?" And when I said I was thinking about it, she instantly turned grumpy and ended the conversation.

I know it's ungrateful and unfair of me, but I feel like I should've been told before I went to college that I would be guilted for the rest of my life into doing what my parents think is best for me.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Grad school is just one letter away from grade school

Hahah, I had to think for a second to remember what "grade school" meant.

Grad school is the snooze button on the clock radio of life.

That's my favorite grad school quote.

Anyway, sorry about the grumbling. I'm just tired of every conversation about my future turning into misery.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    TBH, I didn't really understand your last post. But if your Visa end date is that close to your new job starting, you might want to get that sorted. Start now, these things are taking forever these days.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast