+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does your car say about you…..and are men better drivers?

My husband is not a good driver. I suspect one day I will have to ask DMV to revoke his driving privileges. I think his driving is more in line with what Frasbee described, which BTW - is not a female driver characteristic, but rather an Asian driver characteristic. My husband drives like a stereotypical Asian driver.

Also, I agree with whomever said that insurance rates will tell you who is more likely to have an accident.

I drive a '98 Black Chrysler Intrepid, it's a semi-automatic, and drives very well and is very comfortable.

I drive about 10-20 km over, on the highways and up to 10 km on regular roads....

I'm described as a defense driver by my brother, hahaha.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I drive a red Jeep Wrangler. That's right, ladies. I live life on the edge.
    my bf has a red cj7. sadly, it sits in our driveway broke down. i used to love to go to the mountains in that thing.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I drive a black honda civic. I pretend I can't drive a manual so that no one will ask me for a ride .

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    I drive a black honda civic. I pretend I can't drive a manual so that no one will ask me for a ride .
    Can I have a .... ride?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    Also, I agree with whomever said that insurance rates will tell you who is more likely to have an accident.
    Although men are three times more likely than women to be killed in car crashes, researchers at the Johns Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Public Health have found that, when the total numbers of crashes are considered, female drivers are involved in slightly more crashes than men. Overall, men were involved in 5.1 crashes per million miles driven compared to 5.7 crashes for women, despite the fact that on average they drove 74 percent more miles per year than did women.
    [url]http://www.junkscience.com/news2/womendri.html[/url]

[IMG]"Men typically drive more miles than women and engage more often in risky driving practices including not using a safety belt… and speeding," according to Rader, spokesman for IIHS, in Arlington, Va. "This is due to the fact that men typically drive more miles and exhibit often risky driving practices such as driving while intoxicated, not wearing a seatbelt and speeding," said Lehman. On the flip-side, IIHS also reported that from 1975 to 2003, female deaths in motor vehicle crashes increased 14 percent compared to an 11 percent decline for male motorists during that same period. Insurance industry executive Daniel W. Kummer pegs the rise in female deaths in vehicular crashes to more women obtaining driver's licenses than in the past and driving more miles than, say, 25 years ago. "We're also seeing women driving more aggressively, picking up that bad habit from their male counterparts," points out Kummer, director of personal lines-auto for the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI), an insurance trade organization based in Illinois. Kummer believes that there are more women drivers, because more females hold down jobs today than a quarter-century ago. "All these factors lead to more deaths among women drivers and their auto insurance costs are rising in direct proportion to their accident and death rates from crashes." "Reckless driving used to be the province of male drivers as opposed to women," says III's Carolyn Gorman. "We're seeing more and more examples these days of women driving aggressively and exhibiting road rage, which represent poor behavior behind the wheel." "If trends continue as the data suggest," said IINC's Tully Lehman, "you could start seeing a closing of the gap of car insurance rates between male and female drivers, but for the time being at least, the gap will still remain much as it is today."[/IMG]

[url]http://www.insurance.com/article.aspx/are_men_better_drivers_than_women/artid/259[/url]

Women and gay men are likely to be the worst drivers, a new study has shown.
    Research has revealed that both perform poorly in tasks involving navigation and spatial awareness when compared to heterosexual men.
    Psychologists at Queen Mary, University of London, who conducted the study, believe the findings mean driving in a strange environment would be more difficult for gay men and women than for straight male motorists.
    Both tend to rely on local landmarks to get around, and are also slower to take in spatial information.
    The computer-based tests were carried out on 140 volunteers, and demonstrated that gay men, straight women and lesbians navigated in a similar way, sharing the same weaknesses.
    The results back earlier studies supporting the stereotype that women are poor navigators.
    Although women are more successful in tests requiring them to remember the position of objects, men consistently do better in tasks requiring navigation and uncovering hidden objects.
    The research team, led by Dr Qazi Rahman, used virtual reality simulations of two common tests of spatial learning and memory developed at Yale University.
    In one, volunteers had to swim through an underwater maze to find a hidden platform, while the second involved exploring radial arms projecting from a central junction to receive 'rewards' .
    Dr Rahman said: "Men are good at using distal, or geometrical cues, to decide if they’re going north or south, for instance. They have a better basic sense of direction, but they can use local land marks as well.
    "Driving in a novel environment which is poor in cues is where these differences are likely to show up most.
    "Women are going to take a lot longer to reach their destination, making more errors, taking wrong turns etc. They need more rich local landmarks."
    Dr Rahman added that a similar performance between gay and straight men in the radial arms test showed that the divisions between sexual groups were not straightforward.
    "Gay people appear to show a ‘mosaic’ of performance, parts of which are male-like and other parts of which are female-like," he said.
    [url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1574402/Women-and-gay-men-are-'worst-drivers'.html[/url]

Men are more likely to die because of their tendency to go fast, though.
    Last edited by Junket; 11-09-08 at 08:07 AM.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Men might get into more accidents, but their accidents make sense.

I've had a woman nearly smash into me head-on because she entered an exit ramp... going the wrong way. Another time, a woman made a left turn on a roundabout and drove straight at me as if I weren't even there.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Interesting, Fras... but still, I wonder why the insurance companies would continue to penalize male drivers if it is true they are better drivers. I'm not really questioning the idea that males are better drivers, BTW - it's just that based on my own personal experience, it isn't true. Teenage boys and the elderly (either gender) are very scary on the road.
    Last edited by shh!; 11-09-08 at 08:14 AM.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm a really relaxed driver. I don't speed and I don't get my back up about things. A lot of my mates are the same, although with one or two extremely notable exceptions. A lot of younger women are impatient and aggressive drivers I think. And careless/ditzy.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Because guys knowingly drive riskier

One night at around midnight I was coming home from a ski resort with my friend during a snowstorm, and the roads were insanely slippery and we couldn't see shit

But at the intersection of a village we came too, we (really I) floored it and turned the car, and we spun twice in the middle of this intersection and almost hit a traffic light. That was just last year

I fail to see how that makes you a better driver, my friend.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^^^ hahaha, she has a point.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    There was this girl I had a thing for in highschool, and quickly lost interest in. We were hanging out this one evening for the first time in a while, and coming back from my friend's house, she was getting all emotional about something stupid, I think I had said something about not wanting to hang out with her too much, and she was acting all crazy, and cut across 3 lanes of traffic in one swoop without looking, all the while, I said nothing more than "please, just get me home".

She also backed into my friend's door.

My girlfriend tried crossing traffic in her pickup on a wet day. She didn't realize all the power is in her rear wheels and tried gunning it across. Well, the traction was low in her tires, plus there was no weight in the back. She got hit pretty good.

My mother got in more accidents than I can count, and would honk her horn sooner than she would hit the brake.

My sister crashed my dad's sports car into a wall.

My friend Kristin talked more than she watched the road because she feels the need to look at whomever she is talking to. On one occasion stuck in traffic, a car drove by on the shoulder. With a real-life demonstration she said if she knew they were coming, she'd cut them off, and cut over into the shoulder. And then explained how her mother would keep people from cutting them off by staying real close to the car in front of them, as she proceeded to inch way too close to the car in front of US.

I also had been in a car where the girl would drive in 6th gear going 30 miles per hour, would brake around turns and nearly put us into a stall.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^^^ hahaha women.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    obviously if you walk rather than running, you're bound to meet less accidents... who the hell walks to their destination in the first place??

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast