+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum mentality

Forum mentality

I wanted to ask seeing we were on a forum whether you think that 'forum mentalities" exist.

What I am referring to is the general opinion that is expressed is followed due to a fear of back lash from other members.

Do you think that newer members get treated differently - like an initiation period?

The reason I ask is because I recently joined a graphic design forum asking a very simple question (I thought). I proceeded to endure jibes from current members with no actual assistance. Quite frankly their attitude stunk so much that I don't want to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
    I wanted to ask seeing we were on a forum whether you think that 'forum mentalities" exist.

What I am referring to is the general opinion that is expressed is followed due to a fear of back lash from other members.

Do you think that newer members get treated differently - like an initiation period?

The reason I ask is because I recently joined a graphic design forum asking a very simple question (I thought). I proceeded to endure jibes from current members with no actual assistance. Quite frankly their attitude stunk so much that I don't want to go back.
    Actually that is exactly what I see the experience being like here for a new comer. It is good, it separates those who give advice from those who come here to take it.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    hell no.. i give everyone around here the same obnoxious attitude regardless of who you are.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Yea, I've noticed that the newer members are treated more different than the regulars. Shit, I'm not even a regular lol. I'm still new, but I come here everyday and when I see the newer members crackin jokes or whatever with the regulars, I get this odd feeling like "Who are you?" lol. I know, its weird, but I dunno its kinda weird when people who arent usually on just pop up and talk to you like we're the best of friends.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

well actually i have noticed a certain snobiness and exclusion tactics imposed on some people who are new....some of the older members are acting like they are in school sometimes with the bullying of new members.....oh yes there will be a backlash dasein.....as you know i'm controversial but i also will say anything i believe is true........yes its a form of bullying and it is a disgrace on some longer members.....frikin idiots who 'think' they know it all......here we go........

EDIT: also to add when i stuck up for people who were being bullied i got comments like 'you're not around long enough to be calling any shots' well if that isn't a mentality of superiority......it made me laugh though....coz its only a forum....and i will always give my 2 cents no matter how full of it people are.....btw dasein ignore them....stand up to them.....if you let them do that to you well you will end up missing out on interesting conversations.....don't let them.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 26-09-08 at 07:00 PM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The reasons some of the forum regualrs are friendly or more familiar with each other is because we have known each other for a significant amount of time. it would be the same in real life.

But no I think everyone feels free to express their own opinions. Most of the regulars are pretty strong personalities. And if you don't you're an idiot, because what are you risking by going against the grain? This isn't a workplace, or a family. It's an online discussion forum.

And eco the reason you cop flak isn't because you're some "truth-speaker" not afraid to speak your mind. It's because you propound half-baked, poorly supported ideas expressed in a way that signals your limited intellect.
    Last edited by Charlie Boy II; 26-09-08 at 07:01 PM.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

I certainly hope people are not as snotty in person as they are when the ice breaks on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post

And eco the reason you cop flak isn't because you're some "truth-speaker" not afraid to speak your mind. It's because you propound half-baked, poorly supported ideas expressed in a way that signals your limited intellect.

oh dear charlie has this thread become a bashing session?....stick to the subject will ya....its about the 'forum' mentality.....i get flak sometimes ....and sometimes i don't ......it really doesn't matter to me.....well i think you're just a little peeved that i pointed out your intellectual level......get over it charlie....nobody cares
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you think I'm bad now, you should've "met" me 2 years ago.

Now I don't have time to spend hours arguing every point a poster is trying to make.

Or rather, I don't care to make time.
    Last edited by Junket; 26-09-08 at 07:30 PM.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes I also used to be much more aggressive than I am now.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    Yes I also used to be much more aggressive than I am now.
    Well...admittedly, I don't have to be aggressive because all I need to do now is passively ban someone.

-shrug-

I think forum mentalities do exist. It totally depends on the forum of course. A bunch of graphic designers acting all holier-than-thou just seems laughable to me.

Personally I've always felt comfortable speaking my mind here. Sure there are one or two people who may seem elitist, but the majority of people here are quite welcoming to posters who can string together a coherent sentence.

Just because people don't embrace all posters with open arms, doesn't mean that an elitist attitude pervades the forum as Eco is suggesting. The regulars have to read these posts day after day. Frankly I'd rather not read a bunch of words THT R tiped lyke DiS>!?! I'm also glad that we aren't a support group where people just ehug each other and say "there there." Not only would that be unhelpful to alot of the people needing advice, but also completely uninteresting to other posters. I actually end up learning alot from reading LF people's advice to other people, even if it's not relevant to my own situation.

Dasein if you ever need graphic design advice or have a question, you can always post it here in off topics. I'd be happy to give it an answer, and I think there are a few other posters here who know about graphics.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

i'm usually nice to new people. but i've been coming to this forum for like five years or something rediculous like that. i know a lot of people pretty well. but there will always be a special spot in my heart for you newbies.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

lol U guyz com here n den i make post and wen i make post u are like lol wtf?!? cuz im realli so smrt n u ppl think u r smrt or sumthin but lol u r like NOT LOLLLLL!!!!

Got to love the smell of gibberish in the morning.

I actually think we are pretty nice to (most) newbies. We take the time to respond to their requests for help with their problems, and often at great length, for no other reason than to be helpful and to try to prevent others from making the same mistakes we've made.

The sad fact is that some posters are simply more likeable, and not all advice is good advice.

I don't know about other forums. The posters on academic forums tend to be pretty full of themselves, though.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast