+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vashtiiiii, my lower back feels...not right

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Vashtiiiii, my lower back feels...not right

Recently it feels like my lower back right above my butt...the spine feels uncomfortable. Tight almost, like it would right before I twist and crack it. Only, when I do try to crack it, it doesn't help. So I don't try to crack it anymore.

What I realized today, is this is how I feel when I've been wearing my pouch all day.

I try to limit how many tools I'm carrying in it, but I think the weight, as well as the design puts a lot of pressure in that area.

Vash, do you know anything about the spine and nerves?

Does it feel like it's coming from one of the muscles back there? It could be just a muscle sprain. Have you tried putting a hot pack or heating pad on it to try and relieve the muscle pain?
    I don't chase, I replace.

Yeah probably a muscle sprain. Only thing you can do is tough it out. It will usually last for 4 days if you get enough rest.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Doesn't feel like the muscles at all, it definitely feels like my spine.

I wonder if I've pinched something. I've been wearing that pouch for 3-4 months now.

You could have. We don't learn much about the actual spinal cord and the nerves inside of it in nursing school. If it is bothering you for too long then I'd go to the doctor. I still recommend a heating pad though.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I get the same thing Frasbee. Except I've had it for like two years. Dunno what it is.

Spinal disc or whatever they are called out of alignment?

It's not nerve compression (yet). If it ends up being a nerve problem, you'll feel severely painful burning/stabbing, often extending down the leg if the sciatic nerve is involved. That tightness is probably just an indictation that you aren't taking proper care of your back, lumbosacral pain is probably the most common problem for all adults. Consider it a warning sign that nerve problems will be next, and if it progresses that far, you will be unable to work until it heals. Seriously, there is nothing like nerve pain, and it's very hard to treat effectively.

You should take some NSAIDs for pain if you need it, and apply either ice and heat (I like heat better) several times a day for 15 minutes or so. When your back feels better, you need to work on some stomach and back exercises (both of them will help strengthen your back). Try googling back exercise. You might also want to invest in one of those back support belts, although last I heard, the jury is out about how helpful they are.

If you can't get a hold of this problem, you might need to see a physician. This is definitely a case of an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure.
    Last edited by shh!; 29-09-08 at 08:56 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I get low back pain, too, Fras. In my case, its from too much sitting at a computer. I know a lot of ppl with back problems find yoga helpful. I don't like yoga too much, but I do feel better when I do regular fitness classes that have an abs & back portion.

Isn't back pain really common as we age? I think our spines & back muscles aren't really evolved (yet) to be really strong in the vertical. As a species, we haven't been walking upright for that long. My point is (there is one) is that the back exercises seem to help. At least me.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Shh! is definitely better suited for a lot of these questions than I am since she's a lot further into nursing school. I knew what to do without actually knowing what could be the causes. Heating pads and a doctor visit.

RN education is much heavier on the pathophysiology than the LVN programs, at least according to the LVNs that bridged over into my program. You'll get your share, Cain, trust me.

As for nerve pain, espcially that associated with diabetic neuropathy, they sometimes treat it with Neurontin, which is an anti-epileptic mediacation. That seems to work better than opioids, that don't really touch the pain, but just make you stoned enough to not care.
    Last edited by shh!; 29-09-08 at 10:01 AM.

Harden the **** up...it's probably muscles. Weak back and core + lots of lifting or carrying your tools on your waist are probably screwing you over.

Like everyone mentioned, relax it, ice or heat. Try an epsom salt bath in HOT water, hot to the point where you can barely stand it and won't burn yourself...I love them when I'm sore from a hard workout. The next day I usually feel great after it. Plus they're relaxing . Also you may want to think about stretching daily once you start feeling better. A bit of flexibility is never a bad thing. Also try getting into exercising your back and core.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So what you're all saying is...my Xbox isn't helping my condition?

Shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    So what you're all saying is...my Xbox isn't helping my condition?

Shit.
    No and a Wii fit won't either...get out and start running you lazy bum. Running works not only your core but your back as well. And it's virtually free. Just look at the professional athletes stomachs and backs when they run. Especially the women .

do some sit ups, back exercising to strengthen those particular muscles. and stretching.

i have back problems like mad and only those things help me.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast