+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Degree change

Degree change

Would it be gay if I changed my degree from Business to an performing arts degree (acting)? I kinda' figured acting would be fun. But maybe I'm just have one of those weird thought things. Whatcha' think?
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Gay? No. Impractical? Yes.

I think you should keep the business degree program, and either work in a double major or minor in theater (or whatever). You are going to have to work and support yourself one day, my friend.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Acting is a lot of fun buuuuut in the end it is about just how good you are and whether you look good or not. It really is a superficial industry.

By all means pursue it but have a backup plan.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree, mix business with pleasure. Have the best of both worlds.

I'm not a big advocate of telling someone to go get a 'practical' degree when their heart is somewhere else, but I don't get the feeling that performing arts is your whole passion in life, or something you've been involved in since you were young. I could be wrong of course.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

well you don't have to pay for uni in the UK right? so i say go for it and if ya don't like there's always next year to try somethin else. my brother kept changing his mind, he was in uni for about 7 years, all free practically....so why not i say
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi View Post
    Would it be gay if I changed my degree from Business to an performing arts degree (acting)? I kinda' figured acting would be fun. But maybe I'm just have one of those weird thought things. Whatcha' think?
    Short answer (jokingly), yes, completely gay, you ****ing moron, just study whatever it was you were studying before, because as Vashti said, almost completely impractical.

Do both Kiechi, I study the fine arts and linguistics at school, and things are going okay. I will probably graduate a semester or two after the normal student though. But that's okay to me, because I ****ing love school, I have a supporting and caring lover, blah blah blah.

And don't limit your education to your designated studies; you can take everything you know from other subjects and corporate it into your work. For example, I am writing a novel which takes place on a terraformed Mars, hundreds of years from now. I don't really study English or science very much, but am using them for this novel; I have to study the topography of Mars, as well as soil composition and terraformation concepts in order to come up with something credible. In turn that will affect my artwork as well; I would be more understanding of landscapes and all those things, which would have a detrimental effect on the way I paint. It would also increase my vocabulary, and it might help me in my research on the origin of words.

It'll help your intuition, and if you know all these things, and if you can apply the things you know to practical things, you'll be a highly sought after person.

It's okay to have acting as your passion. But have something to fall back on in case you should fail. Work hard, and don't give up, even if you want to.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 30-10-08 at 02:18 AM.

I say take both if you can as well. Plus the acting classes will help you in business. You'll learn how to comand a room which will help you sell yourself.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

gosh you're all so sensible, in fairness, it's more fun to try different things, ive done so many courses and had so many different careers and i haven't regretted it for a second. the only time i did was when i worked in the states, but it seemed to be more important over there. over here it hasn't mattered at all. you spend enough time in a company and get to know the right people; you can get anywhere here
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 30-10-08 at 02:34 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    well you don't have to pay for uni in the UK right?
    !?!?!?!?!?!
    **** my life.

What's your take on the business course though? At least being a motivated and capable actor beats being a bored and sloppy businessman.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's something to fall back on. It means you'll have a better chance of finding employment.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You don't have to pay for college in the UK?!

Motherf*cker!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    What's your take on the business course though? At least being a motivated and capable actor beats being a bored and sloppy businessman.
    True. However, a bored businessman lives better than a hungry actor, and a bored businessman gets to leave his job behind at the end of the day. An actor is always hustling for the next job.

I suppose it's all a matter of how much security one needs in order to feel safe.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    You don't have to pay for college in the UK?!

Motherf*cker!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Yeah, I feel that.

Stupid student loans.

Er, Uni isn't free in the UK people.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast