+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metrosexuals . . .

Metrosexuals . . .

What's your thoughts on these? I have a bunch of friends that are metro's and I have no problem with it. But I know I could never take the time or effort to be so myself. Anyone here a metro? Anyone know anyone that is? What you think about it? Just up for general discussion.

Alexi

I think its really lame. It's just typical of our culture is all. We opress a particular group of people then once we become tolerant we CELEBRATE their culture. It's a disgusting habit we have as a nation. Now a guy caring about his appearance is one thing, trying to pretty up and look like a gay man whilst remaining straight is quite another. That and we really don't need a term for it. When you say "metrosexual" it implies a different sexual preference but its not. Metrosexuals are heterosexuals, its double speak and unnecessary. I dunno, I just think the whole hype and idea behind it all is super lame.
    Heit ist mein taug.

I agree completely about it being overhyped. But I don't think that they're TRYING to act gay. It's just that now guys aren't AFRAID to hold back on conditioning and taking great care of themselves. Girls often spend HOURS getting ready for a big date. The hairdo, the skin products, the clothes, the shoes, the makeup, etc. Why can't a guy take a little extra care in himself? It doesn't harm anyone.

Alexi

WHAT THE HELL? A metro what? WTF? I do live a sheltered life...this has to be explained to me-i dont get this one...why is there a name for a guy who wants to take care of himself?
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

lol Squirrley. I never heard of that term either. Must be that rock we live under.

I looked it up on the net:
    A metrosexual is a clotheshorse wrapped around a dandy fused with a narcissist. Like soccer star David Beckham, who has been known to paint his fingernails, the metrosexual is not afraid to embrace his feminine side. Why "metrosexual"? The metro- (city) prefix indicates this man's purely urban lifestyle, while the -sexual suffix comes from "homosexual," meaning that this man, although he is usually straight, embodies the heightened aesthetic sense often associated with certain types of gay men.
    The only guys I know that show anything REMOTELY close to this kind of behaviour are, in fact, gay. Never met a straight guy like that. Ever. Again, it must be the "rock" thing. Don't really have an opinion for it. I just don't get it. I'm with Squirrley, why they need to "term" a guy that embraces his feminine side is beyond me. What do they call a woman who embraces her masculine side? A Testotersexual?

LMFAO Breezy! I wouldnt consider myself a Tester-whatever-

its just messed up...personally who gives a rats ass if a guy does take care of himself and is in touch with emotional side-hey thats just more confidence in my book!

Too right Squirrley! I would just like to be known as a "sexual" being. Period. Enough with the labels already!

Well I don't see a problem with a guy taking a little extra time in his appearance, but the definition, as is said there, is that he exudes an aesthetic sense from gay culture. I mean it really just sounds like a very very confused individual.
    Heit ist mein taug.

whats confusing about it though? So the man knows who he is? I mean personally I thinks its bs to label to someone who knows who they are!

Geesh-I agree Breezy-labels suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Zekk_T_Strife
    Well I don't see a problem with a guy taking a little extra time in his appearance, but the definition, as is said there, is that he exudes an aesthetic sense from gay culture. I mean it really just sounds like a very very confused individual.
    It's an aesthetic sense usually associated with gay men. Doesn't mean he IS gay, or confused about his sexuality in ANYway. If I put on a lab coat, medical mask and wore a stethoscope around my neck would that make me a doctor? No. You can thank the media for all the confusion surrounding these individuals. Nothing wrong with taking care of your appearance.
    "Metrosexual" to me, is just another way to stereotype an individual and it sucks.

I wasn't implying that he doesn't know whether or not he is gay, I'm saying it's like false advertising. You get guys wearing pastel shirts talking about product to increase the smoothness of their skin and it makes it that much harder for gay guys to find a partner because this really fancy guy is actually straight, or a girl will be having a non threatening convo with what she thinks is a gay man then when he turns out to be straight it becomes something entirely different. I'm saying I don't have any problem if a guy wants to take the time to beauty himself up and get in touch with a side he hasn't before. But acting gay but being straight (which is essentially what it is, if you meet a metrosexual you'll see) is just confusing. That's what I meant.
    Heit ist mein taug.

Okay, okay. I'm sorry I misunderstood, but when you said 'sounds like one very, very confused individual', it sounded like you were referring to the guy himself.
    But acting gay but being straight (which is essentially what it is, if you meet a metrosexual you'll see) is just confusing. That's what I meant.
    In that case I may have already MET one and just thought he was gay. I still don't get your point though. Are you mad at the metros for BEING this way? Because it's too confusing for the rest of us, I mean.

I still dont get this-to me its just another bs way of labeling people. Who gives a crap if they act or do certain things-who the hell is someone to judge them based on that!
    It makes no sense to me.

People are who they are-thats simple...

No ones arguing you there squirrley. It IS a label and a stupidly unnecessary one at that. But getting beyond that I'm not MAD at metros in any way, I just don't see why if they enjoy this kind of aesthetic values why they have to flaunt it in such a way that no one knows what the hell they are. It's like you're in a shopping mall and looking for lucky charms. You see a box thats green, has the leprechaun, all the shapes of the cereal and even has the same name. It's amongst all these boxes of the right cereal but THIS one is filled with count chocula. A good cereal but not at all what you were looking for. I dunno if that analogy proved a point or if i just wanted to say it but there ya go. I just don't see the point of the influx of metros.
    Heit ist mein taug.

I just dont get it period. Im not arguing with anyone-i just dont see the necessity in making another label-maybe cause Im older now-I just dont give two shits about that stuff-maybe cause ive never experienced or have seen someone like that-I dont know-but I do know people are who they are-and if they take some "extra" time or "extra" care with themselves-its no biggy to me.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast