+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homemade tooth whiteners - anyone?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I bought those OTC whitening agents for my daughter when she got her braces off. Whatever they put in there (I'm pretty sure it was hydrogen peroxide) messed with her tongue because she was using it more frequently and for longer periods of time than the suggested amount...
    Ha, how teenagerish of her. If a little is good, then a lot must be better.

Prob H2O2, or maybe percarbamide. Which is basically urea peroxide. Don't tell her unless you want a big 'ewww'.

FYI, for vash, you can use the latter for loosening bunged ear wax.

Well if you really want your teeth to be white, you could always mix up some white zinc and some gum arabic (or some other binder) and just paint the ****in things white.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    i am using a 21% carbamide peroxide
    A 10% solution of that is about equivalent to 3% H2O2 (I think). So I'd guess this is about 6% H2O2 equivalent, which is okay. I get 6% topical stuff in the UK. Just to be clear, they aren't equivalent.

Is H202 the prerequisite to H301?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    H302 or H306. H301 is for those pussy premed students who want to learn just enough chemistry to get themselves into med school, not for those wanting a research career. No real math, just ask DM.

Please be very careful in choosing the correct concentration of hydrogen peroxide. At high concentrations that stuff is very corrosive and cytotoxic.

OOO peroxide, that makes me shiver. You guys have a death sentence, huh? Want to explode? Eeek. I wondered what caused an explosion in a lab about a year ago. It was probably peroxide!
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    2)For making tooth whitener; take 3 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of table salt. Mix well and use as tooth powder.
    Do you mix that with water or just the baking soda and table salt alone?

Just swish some lye around in your mouth. Hahaha.

I've tried mixing 3% hydrogen peroxide with baking soda and water, and use it as a paste to brush my teeth. It caused stinging sensation to my teeth and actually whitens my gums close to the teeth! Scared me to death when I saw my white gums in the mirror.. furiously rinsed my mouth with water immediately, luckily managed to rinsee off the whiteness.

Next day I mixed the same peroxide with equal portion of water, and used as mouthrinse. Feels ok except the unpleasant taste. But then there's no clear apparent whitening effect on my teeth.

Haven't tried the baking soda and salt method. Basically its using the same ingredients baking soda, hydrogen peroxide either use as brusing paste or mouthrinse.
    Problem is worry whether corrosive on the teeth.. don't want to solve one problem and create a bigger problem though

What's the recommended frequency of usage for baking soda & hydrogen peroxide?

look up "oil pulling" i just researched it the other day for different reasons but anyways I tried it for the past two days and honestly my teeth do look whiter and they feel lovely... bad thing is it is no treat.. it tastes like crap... basically what you do is take a tablespoon of organic oil i used olive oil but the sites say to use seseme or sunflower oil i dont know what difference it makes but anyways you take a table spoon of the oil and slowly swish it in your mouth between your teeth... its supposed to get rid of bad bacterias and parasites but it also is supposed to whiten your teeth.... look it up first...

Quote Originally Posted by Decastro View Post
    Do you mix that with water or just the baking soda and table salt alone?
    alone as far as i know, i've never tried it myself
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

I would never personally put any chemicals into my mouth, as recommended by a person over the internet

When I was 14 or so I used something from the dentist, I forget what it was called, but they give you a retainer-type thing that you put this gel in, and sleep with it in. It worked pretty well on my four front teeth, but now they're whiter than all the others and it's kind of weird... :/

ETA - Oh, yeah, it was called Opalescence.

ANyone knows of reputable and trusted internet site for buying teeth whitening kit? International not just within US/Canada. Just curious.. maybe can buy online and try

Quote Originally Posted by Cloe View Post
    ANyone knows of reputable and trusted internet site for buying teeth whitening kit? International not just within US/Canada. Just curious.. maybe can buy online and try
    I believe Daniel Smith sells large bottles of titanium white paint on their site. I'm sure one tube's more than you'll need.

If you want them to be shiny, put a coat of Damar varnish on them when you're done.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast