+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you propose?

How would you propose?

There is one place that I love to go to think over things. It is rocks on a pier that overlooks the Whitestone Bridge in NY. I took my girlfriend here on our first date. Two years later, I took her to the same place. It was night-time and we were the only ones there. The only light that illuminated our faces was the light from the bridge. We were wrapped in a blanket and tried to keep warm. In between the rocks I had hidden the ring. I made it seem like i spotted something shimmering and pulled out the ring. At first she thought it was a lost item. However when she got a better look at the platinum engagement ring and the diamonds, she realized something like this doesn't simply lie in between rocks. There was a pause until, she let it sink in and that is when I asked her to marry me. She hasn't taken that platinum engagement ring since...

That is my story of proposing, lets hear yours

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'd get down on one knee, open the jewelry box and say:

"Hey, here's a lump of rock that a bunch of people in Africa died horribly just for you to wear it on your finger. Let's sign a contract that we'll stay true to each other for the rest of our lives even though that isn't really feasible and we've got better than 50/50 odds of divorcing. You weren't planning to do anything interesting with the best years of your life anyway, right?"
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

OOOOOO Gribble..bad.

I didn't really believe in marriage as well, but my guy still proposed because he wanted to move on to another phase of life. I wasn't. I should have.

Now, I believe marriage is great if you are planning a family and need security.

Hey, can we have a proposal and stay together without dealing with marriage license stuff?

A proposal to life and love
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBird View Post
    There is one place that I love to go to think over things. It is rocks on a pier that overlooks the Whitestone Bridge in NY. I took my girlfriend here on our first date. Two years later, I took her to the same place. It was night-time and we were the only ones there. The only light that illuminated our faces was the light from the bridge. We were wrapped in a blanket and tried to keep warm. In between the rocks I had hidden the ring. I made it seem like i spotted something shimmering and pulled out the ring. At first she thought it was a lost item. However when she got a better look at the platinum engagement ring and the diamonds, she realized something like this doesn't simply lie in between rocks. There was a pause until, she let it sink in and that is when I asked her to marry me. She hasn't taken that platinum engagement ring since...

That is my story of proposing, lets hear yours
    That sounds like a great idea. I take my camera everywhere to capture moments like that. No luck though.

Haha aww poor Gribble not a huge believer i see?

Well if me and my girl stay together which we should, I'm going to hire out the apartment no. 1024 at the Seamark hotel which was the first place we were at together as a couple and the first time either of us made love, take her out onto the balcony which over looks the gorgeous beach, get on one knee and ask her to finalise making me the happiest and most lucky man in the world. That's what I'm planning to do
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body...

My hubby proposed to me in front of Cinderella's Castle at Disney World. We had been there for 4 hours and did the whole take your pic at every spot, so I didnt think anything of it when my honey gave the photographer our card. He came over to me and got down on his knees and proposed right there in front of hundreds of people around us and I was shocked! I cried so hard and was shaking like a leaf. The greatest thing, the photographer knew he was going to propose so he got right up there and got the most amazing photos of every second. We love theme parks and it was a moment I will never forget!
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post

"Hey, here's a lump of rock that a bunch of people in Africa died horribly just for you to wear it on your finger. Let's sign a contract that we'll stay true to each other for the rest of our lives even though that isn't really feasible and we've got better than 50/50 odds of divorcing. You weren't planning to do anything interesting with the best years of your life anyway, right?"

lol! now thats reality with a punch people, classic!
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

OK, here's my proposal story ... the marriage didn't last forever (we were quite young) but i'm sure it wasn't because of the proposal!

I sold my bass guitar and got the coin for the ring. I asked my girlfriend (at the time) out to a nice romantic dinner. I called the restaurant and specially reserved a table in front of the fireplace for the occasion.

When we got there, we were seated in front of the kitchen door! I went to the maitre d' and complained. He apologized, and told me it was because the people at my reserved table wouldn't leave ... they kept ordering more coffee and desserts. Who could blame them ... it was a very cozy setting on a cold night.

Undeterred, I told him that we would rather wait for a seat next to a crackling fire than settle for a seat next to clanging dishes.

Anyway, a full 45 minutes later, we got our seats.

The dinner was wonderful and romantic and when I asked, she said yes! What else could possibly go wrong?

Well, in my excitement about the moment to come, I forgot to put my credit card in my wallet. Dohhhh!!!

After we furiously dug through pockets, wallets and purse, between the two of us finally came up with enough money to avoid a stint in the kitchen washing dishes ... with nothing left over to take care of our excellent waitress.

I apologized, and as promised, I dropped off her tip the next day.

I wish I could say that the marriage lasted forever despite our inauspicious start, but it was mostly good.

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1222; 03-12-08 at 09:32 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Pretty good for Part 1. I'm sure Part 2, tho will be quite touching.

Well very intriguing stuff.. Anymore creative proposals?

My husband proposed on the top of Mt. Tamalpais, his favorite place on one of the most beautiful days I've ever seen. We'd spent the morning at Muir beach, just being quiet and climbing all over the rocks. We went up to Mt. Tam at about two in the afternoon. It was warm and not at all windy. He looked at me and said, "I've got a question for you", in this jokey casual way and then he couldn't stop grinning. Got down on his knee and everything.

He did a good job, too. I love my ring, and I'm picky about that kind of stuff.
    Spammer Spanker

That's by far the best proposal I have heard. It's original and truthful.

The stereotypical asking someone to marry them where they had one of their "firsts" (date, kiss, ect) is cute and all. However I find originality to be the key.
    I ought to know better than to do what I do, but I ain't no quitter.

My ex proposed in a way that was just about as harsh... in retrospect anyway. We were over at his grandparents' house visiting his relatives (no holidays, or special occasion... just a common visit --- one of many more to come). In front of all his relatives he got down on one knee, stated how 'compatible' we were, that he could offer stability, make all my dreams come true, and loved me very much. Then he showed the ring and asked me to marry him.

I was completely caught off guard, overwhelmed by the 'show of force,' and though I loved him at the time... I did feel very pressured. However, I was 19 at the time, and so due to my inexperience (and believing I was 'in love') I accepted.

Needless to say, the wedding, the reception, and the entire marriage from start to finish had a 'Cinderella theme' but without the prince charming...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

This is how I was going to propose to me girl.

I will get on one knee and I will sing her a romantic song and then at the end of the song I will ask her to be my wife forever, then I will give her the ring.

Platinum is becoming a trend for engagement rings.Personally I chose to buy a platinum engagement ring for many reasons. What would you prefer to give/receive as an engagement ring? This is often a daunting task. That is why I researched all my options ahead of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast