+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart Rate

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    FYI, I found this (wiki):

The LD50 of caffeine in humans is dependent on weight and individual sensitivity and estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass, roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult taken within a limited time frame that is dependent on half-life. Though achieving lethal dose with caffeine would be exceptionally difficult with regular coffee, there have been reported deaths from overdosing on caffeine pills, with serious symptoms of overdose requiring hospitalization occurring from as little as 2 grams of caffeine.[75][76][77][78] Death typically occurs due to ventricular fibrillation brought about by effects of caffeine on the cardiovascular system.

The 1/2 life is stated as 3-4 hours for an adult. Interestingly, this can be DOUBLED for women taking oral contraceptives (FYI Vash!) & can be 9 to 11 hours for pregnant women.

I suppose estrogen uses the same P450 system.

Anyway, sorry for the digress, but women, those thinking of getting pregnant, and those in health care will find this interesting, I think.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What exactly do you mean by "half life" in this context?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh, sorry Fras. Half life is the time it takes for half the drug to be broken down by the body. Basically, after one dose and 4 half lives later, the caffeine is essentially all gone. Every compound you take has a certain 1/2 life. Its the reason you wait an hour or so before driving if you've had a drink.

All I'm basically saying is that caffeine hangs around a lot longer in women, and esp pregnant ones. Which means that, for the same number of cups of coffee, the women will get a higher dose. This could be important if there are other things (or drugs) being taken.

are you having depression and anxiety?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Indus18 View Post
    Is this common medical knowledge? That if you're anemic, your heartrate will be elevated?

I saw this thread and I instantly had to comment cuz my resting rate has always been 80 to 90. However, I have a blood condition that causes me to be constantly anemic unless carefully monitored, and today I was feeling unwell and I checked my heart-rate, resting, and it was 110.

It scared the crap out of me, so I waited 10 minutes, tried again, STILL 110.

Right now it's 102. If I can chalk it up to anemia, I'm cool. If I'm dying... not so cool.

Red blood cells carry oxygen to your tissues, and when you don't have enough RBCs or if their ability to carry oxygen is impaired, your heart will pump faster to oxygenate tissues so they won't die, so yes - an elevated heart rate is expected with anemia.

I missed the part about Frasbee's heart fluttering though, so I doubt his problem is anemia. As for YOUR anemia, I hope you are being treated. I am not sure why your heart rate is elevated.

And yes indi - thats probably why they advise pregnant women to avoid caffeine.
    Last edited by vashti; 11-12-08 at 12:13 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

i have anemia.

it sucks. there are times when i feel like a cold dead body.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    There are lots of different types - have they determined WHY you are anemic?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Mine was 52 bpm and I feel like crap.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

nope. been tested for all kinds of diseases. i've been anemic since i was a child.

my mom had hepatitis and all kinds of other liver problems before i was born, i think that's probably how i got it.

i've been getting treated for it the eastern way and it's far more effective than taking iron pills and iron shots. if you can believe it.

So it's an iron deficiency type of anemia? It can also be macrocytic anemia.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't have anemia.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I had anemia when I was younger. I got it from too much running, supposedly. I didn't know that was possible. Something to do with my heel smashing my blood cells? Thought I was tired from work & then exercise was supposed to help. I still run, but now I also cycle & swim.

Too much of anything isn't good for you, I learned.

I just recently found out my ex has anemia. She's been trying to contact me for some time telling me she needs to ask me something that it's important. I've been ignoring her because I thought it was bs she wanted to bring up about the past.

Ran into her at school going the same way, was kind of hard to just blow her off but she asked me, if she had felt tired or really sleepy when we were together. I told her, "ya, you were a lazy ass that never wanted to do any running or physical activity with me." Also turns out that's why she had such terrible periods as well, she would feel like throwing up, passing out, and super tired.

Needless to say that was kind of weird talking to her because we actually caught up on things. I have no hard feelings towards her anymore and I'm finally past that .

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Now, before you read guys, keep in mind its just a correlational study. Take it as advice to speak to your doc, eat healthy & get some regular exercises (all of which helps control diabetes).

[url]http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/healthday/2008/12/11/fast-heart-rate-warns-of-obesity-diabetes.html[/url]

my heart rate gets really fast when my thyroid meds are too high

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast